Copy animation for second object

Hi all,

I’m just starting on animation and I was wondering if it is posible to copy the animation for one object to another object. Let me explain what I’m trying to do:

I have a house that consists of several blocks (cubes and piramides to be exact). The house is placed above the view of the camera. I want to drop the blocks into the camera view one at a time. So I make a keyframe for frame 1 with all blocks high in the air. Then I skip 10 frames, select the first block and move it to the ground and make another keyframe. Now I have to repeat this same process for the second block, then the third and so on.

So I was wondering if there is a way to duplicate the animation of the first block to the second. That way I don’t have to repeat the same process for all 17 blocks… I did that yesterday but I’m not satisfied with the result and I’m not really looking forward to doing it again tonight :spin:

So, if anyone has a good tip on how to do this, I’m all ears!

Thanks,
Rick

select the first block with the animation, and rename the animation name to “drop”. press K to display Keys (yellow vertical lines) Press A in the ipo window to select all the keys.

Select the second block you want to drop. Select the drop animation to assign it to the block. Click the 2 to make a clone for that block. press G in the ipo window and drag the keys over by 10 frames.

Repeat for the other blocks. (2.50 will have macros, so this workflow will be changed to record the macro in the paragraph above and then operate the macro on each other block).

Thanks PapaSmurf! I’m going to try that tonight.

It will be a while until version 2.50 will be released I think, since 2.49b is only just released?

Greets,
Rick

I’ve mostly figured out how to do what PapaSmurf describes (I’m missing the “2”, but…), as well as going to the 2nd object’s IPO window, linking to the old ObIpo, and using ADD NEW to copy the IPO datablock.

But what I’d really like to do is define an IPO datablock somewhere (maybe on some object in a hidden layer), link a bunch of objects to that datablock, but then offset the curves differently per object, at least in time, but possibly on the y-axis as well. And then be able to go back and tweak the original and have it reflected at the different times on the different objects.

Any way to do this? (And as I’m typing this, I’m thinking of a way to use scripts to make this happen, but it’d still be nice to have a way in the UI to do it.)

Thanks,
Dave