copy armature keyframes

I have two identical armatures in my .blend file. One of them is animated and the other isn’t.
How do I copy all the movements on one armature over to the other?

Thanks

Select your second “EXACT” armature, and load the action you wanted. In the NLA convert it to strip, next load your next action etc.

Notice that this will work only if all the bones are named equally in both armatures, since actions are related to bone’s names.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I need a little more explanation though.
I’m using 2.53 by the way.

I don’t understand what you mean by “load the action you wanted.”

I have one armature with a walk cycle. I can open up the NLE, convert it to a strip, duplicate it, add and delete tracks and move the walk cycle around by dragging it.

However, the the other armature has no animation. The outliner window shows no “Animation.” So I don’t know how to get a strip from one armature to the other. I don’t see any way to copy and paste between different armatures. The NLE window only shows the Armature with the animation, the other one doesn’t show up in the NLE.

What to do?

That strip on the NLE, leave it alone. If you duplicate it, move it around etc etc it still belongs to the original Armature from where it was copy from.

You need to go to the Dope Editor, select your new armature in the 3D viewport. The Dope Editor has an Action Selector ( in the Header ). Click there and your walkcycle ( original Actions key frames should be there ) selecting it mean it is loaded in the Dope Editor. You will see all the keyframes and some keyframes in the NLE under your new Armature. Click the gear Icon so the action is converted to a strip…from there you know.

In order for your Armature to show in the NLE, it should be located in layer active for rendering.

That explanation doesn’t really make sense.

Maybe I’m not being clear, I have one biped armature with a walk motion.
I have another biped armature with no animation.

If I select the armature with the animation, sure enough, the Dope Sheet, and the NLE both show the animation.

But, if I select the armature without the animation, it doesn’t show up in the Dope Sheet, or the NLE. It still only shows the first armature with the animation. There is nothing to copy to. No Animation track in the second armature.

The only way I’ve been able to transfer the motion from one figure to another is to create a key on the armature with no animation. Press the gear in the NLE editor to convert the single key to an Nla track with a strip. Then delete the strip. That way an empty animation track for the armature is created. Finally, go to ADD>Add Action Strip, and in the pop up window, select the action from the Armature with the walk cycle. That adds the animation to the second armature. Now they walk in unison.

However, if I change the animation in the first armature, the second armature motion changes also. This is because the Action is still linked to the first armature.

Is there some other way to go about this?
Or is there some way to delink the two actions after I add the strip?

There’s not really a reason to use the NLA editor for this.

If the armatures are the same (bones have same names), all you need is the Dope Sheet.

Go to the Dopesheet, there choose the Action Editor in the header. Select the armature without animation, (go into pose mode?) and in dopesheet header you can select all the actions (animation datablock) that are within the blendfile.

When multiple armatures share an action, press on the number next to the action name to make it single user.

hey Mr Terrachild;

Mr Sago has given you the exact same explanation. (And the only one). There is not work around. What you ask is very simple to do. Follow the instructions given and you will get it done. Before saying that your solution does not make sense, I would suggest you to turn on a few neurons and put them to work. If you are no able to understand a simple answer, then I suggest you to download a teletubies game, Blender might not be for you boy.:evilgrin:

Sagon wrote: Go to the Dopesheet, there choose the Action Editor in the header. Select the armature without animation, (go into pose mode?) and in dopesheet header you can select all the actions (animation datablock) that are within the blendfile.

Animaticoide wrote: You need to go to the Dope Editor, select your new armature in the 3D viewport. The Dope Editor has an Action Selector ( in the Header ). Click there and your walkcycle ( original Actions key frames should be there ) selecting it mean it is loaded in the Dope Editor.

well it is your decision, teletubies or Blender !

Sago, you get a gold star.
Simple solution and it worked perfectly.
Thanks.

:smiley:

Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa, PO…

As much as I like the tubbies, I’ll stick with Blender for now.

And by the way Animaticoide, being a dick really isn’t necessary.
I’ve never animated in Blender before and it’s not at all obvious that you have to click the 3-diamond icon to pull up an action drop-down window. There’s no matching function in the menu structure for the dope-sheet that I can find. So unless you want to give Blender users a bad rap for being insulting and turning off recent converts like myself, why don’t you try elaborating next time someone says an explanation doesn’t make sense. Or don’t you have enough neurons to elaborate?

Also, your first answer which I was still trying to make work told me to go to the NLA editor and do it there, which wasn’t possible because there was no way to load the action onto an armature with no previous animations. I guess you don’t have enough neurons to remember what you first wrote.

I still insist. Put some neurons together boy. NLA is not the same as NLE ! You are confuse. Certainly you load your action from the NLA Dope Sheet, NLE Stands for Non-Linear-Editor…Before fighting back because you simply do not understand is a bad path for learning. What you state as wrong, shows clearly your short temper. It seems that you haven’t still understood anything, that makes you look goofy. Better keep your mouth shut, ask to please reformulate your answer or simply ignore it. My best advice is put some oil on those neurons !:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ha ha :
Terrachild wrote: Also, your first answer which I was still trying to make work told me to go to the NLA editor and do it there, which wasn’t possible because there was no way to load the action onto an armature with no previous animations. ( YOU SAID YOU WANTED TO COPY THE ANIMATION, goofy !) ha ha ha You are funny boy, one day you will feel shame for writing this, obviously, if you put your neurons together, otherwise: TELETUBIES !

Hi, I am Annibelle. I have done multimedia 1 year course. It was so interesting. Now I got very little time to culture animation. But after found this forum, i definitely say, that it helps me a lot by some information.

I have participated in many forums for years.
Especially the Adobe forums. People there are very helpful and constructive.
Not once have I seen someone respond to a request for help with insults.
Maybe since Blender is open-source, there are less professional people on the forums here. I don’t know. Maybe you are the only one.

You are giving the Blender community a bad rep pal.

You are obvious one of those people who like to provoke people and then try and turn the tables on them when they react, normally, to a jerk. I have run into folks like you many times in my life, and when cornered, people like you always get pedantic. Like repeatedly quoting trivial mistakes like NLA versus NLE as if it matters.

Your response to my statement that the explanation doesn’t make sense should have been to realize that you were dealing with someone unfamiliar with the program, and to provide them with more detailed information. Not to insult them by bringing up the Teletubbies as a possible alternative. Interesting, that you can’t see that!

Maybe if I hadn’t run into people like you many times already, I would actually be bothered by it. But instead I offer this post as a warning to anyone dealing with you in the future.

Forever etched in cyberspace.

Big difference between NLA and NLE not just the A or E ,tho! You load your actions from the NLA, and thats correct, no matter how upset your are.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

bla bla…again, evading the main point bringing unrelated stuff. Because you, because me, because them…warning…warning… Animaticoide is getting close…keep out !:ba::ba::ba::ba:

ha ha, you are funny…warning: TERRA-neurons pointing to Photoshop Forums …warning Teletubie intruder in Blender Forums…he he he …:D:D:D:D:D:D

Care to describe the difference between NLA and NLE for us Animaticoide?

Tune the next TERRA-Teletubies’ episode !, Mister much less worst. Basically, Revoltymelaquiotopathia is the main difference. :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Regards
Teletubies’ Moderator Team

Attachments