Copy Location With Offset

I need for bones in an Armature to follow the relative location of some Empty objects. I attempted using the Copy Locaton constraint, but that is a mess. Even with Offset checked it doesn’t work. It either snaps the Bone to the exact location of the Empty or, when I check Offset, the Bone shoots off into space instead of staying in it’s original position and following the offset location of the Empty. Any idea how to accomplish this?

Not very clear to me what you want… What spaces are you working with in your constraint? I think there’s a good chance you’re not wanting a copy location constraint at all, but something else, like a child-of.

Try this: Snap the cursor to your empty. Reset location on the empty. Duplicate the empty. Parent the duplicate to the original with keep transform. Give the original a copy rotation constraint targeting the bone, on world->world. Apply visual transform (ctrl a menu) on the original, then delete the constraint. Snap the original to cursor. Hide the original. Create a copy location constraint on a bone, targeting the duplicate. Set it to local->local space, enable offset. Move the duplicate empty. Is that what you want?

More details on the situation could lead to you getting advice that was easier to follow, easier to set up, less general.

Thanks for the reply. I really couldn’t follow it but I’ll try. What I’m trying to do is follow a concept for facial motion capture. I imported footage of me talking with markers drawn on my face, then I tracked them. The tracker created Empty objects that follow the motion of the markers. Now, I need to have the bones in the character’s face follow the motion of these markers. Problem is, they never match up exactly. When I tried to use a Copy Location on the face bones I had the problems. listed. Following the transform of something with an offset sounds like a commonly useful thing to have in Blender but it doesn’t look like it’s there

Tracking markers need to be in the same place as the bones. In the “rest face” for the empties, give all the bones copy transform constraints, targeting the empties. Default constraint settings-- world->world space-- are appropriate. No offset. Apply as rest pose (ctrl a menu in pose mode.)

That’s assuming there’s a good correspondence between the face and the tracking markers, which there needs to be in order for facial tracking to work. You’re not going to be able to do facial tracking from some particular face to faces that are very dissimilar (longer, bigger eyes, etc.) At least, not without thinking very carefully about how you want to translate the tracking.