copy mesh and armature

I have a character skinned to an armature. I want to duplicate it so I can make some modifications to create a second, similar character.

After duplicating the mesh and skeleon, the new mesh does not deform with the new skeleton. I’ve tried un-parenting and reparenting. All the vertex group names are there; the names havin’t been modified. In the ‘edit methods’ prefs, for duplicate with object, I have every button down excpet material and texture.

Am I doing something wrong?

if you are duplicating everything at once, everything meaning the mesh and the armature, it should work. The only thing I can think of, is maybe you are trying to duplicate them seperately? also, possibly you might need to have an active object selected, meaning, the one of the group that is bright pink as opposed to medium pink. if the group you are duplicating has no active object, you can set one by shift clicking on any of the objects in the group that you are duplicating. anyway, it should work. if you can’t get it working maybe you could put up the blend file.

I can’t get it to work. :-?

I’d appreciate it if you could take a look at it.

http://users.rcn.com/rmkerr/skinnyGuy2_faceRVKs.blend.zip

Thanks!

i encountered this same problem, doing the same thing. as soon as you have copied the mesh and armature, verify that they have unique names. they are assigned automatically, but blender doesn’t seem to see them as seperate objects. i found that renaming them did solve the problem.

jim ww

Thanks for the tip, but it didn’t seem to work. I renamed them, but the mesh still doesn’t deform.

Its really strange. If I unparent and reparent the mesh, I can see it shift into place with the armature. It just doesn’t deform with the bones.

If I open a new blend, then append the duplicated mesh and armature into the new blend, it works.

Strange huh?

maybe it’s a corrupt file. it happens occasionally.