Copy Nodes From One Scene To Another

Hi All,

I have two scenes, both of them use compositing with different sets of nodes.

Is there anyway to merge these two scenes in to a master scene so I can render them both together?

Once scene is a complex water wave and the other scene is a fire. The fire is built up by the composite, but I want it to reflect on the water.

Atom,

I just did a quick test, and it appears as though you can. First select the nodes that you want to include in the other scene, and make a group. Now switch scenes, spacebar…add…group, and select the group you just made.

Best of Luck!

Thank You,

I’ll give the group approach a try.

Atom,

Take a look at the following. When grouping, do not include a render layers or an output node. I think Blender will allow you to group them, but you wont be able to append them from one file to another, or copy them to another scene.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Using_Compositing_Nodes

Best of Luck!

um, you know that you can roll in images from other scenes through the RenderLayer node, right? So you may not have to copy node setups, just bring in the render output from that scene and process it through the same noodle.

That’s what he’s doing already but you only get the current scene’s noodle run as a post process. Render layers cannot be included in node groups.

I like to create a separate (master) scene for rendering only. It only contains a camera (scenes won’t render without one) and only render layers from the other scenes are loaded into the compositor. This is the only scene in which I generally set up a node network other than for testing purposes. This keeps me from ever needing to append node groups which can sometimes be more trouble to connect properly than to just rebuild. It takes an extra second or two for each frame to render this way but it also keeps the compositor organized and somewhat sane.

At some point in the future when macros are introduced (v.2.50) node groups should (hopefully) become a useful “One Click” method for adding prebuilt effects (especially those which are dependent on certain types of complex matte setups) without having to do all that re-piping.