Copy & Past of Faces / Sections of an Object?

Hi,

i am quite new to Blender. I did some tutorials, and feel quite good with blender. I started to model (for Unity) of an old church. Now I got a question while modeling the windows. Is there a kind of copy&paste?

Like you can see on the screenshots, I would like to give the tower on all sides this nice window (also later on the main building). Is there a way to model it once and then copy it? Do I have to model it as a seperate object and paste it to the position where i like it? I would like to avoid it due to lowpoly. I thought about the mirror modifierer, but there i still have the problem of modeling several windows.

Right now, I modeled one window and try to build another one using ISO View and switching back and forth. That doesn’t some a elegant solution to me :wink:

I would appreciate every help or advice.

Select all the vertices of your window, hit Shift+D to duplicate. Set the pivot point to Median and rotate 90 degrees around Z axis. Then switch the snapping mode to, say, Vertex, and move the selection while holding Ctrl until the proper vertices snap at corresponding vertices of the other window frame. Then select all, W -> remove doubles. Rinse and repeat.

Hint: to begin with, you could’ve modeled only a quarter of this tower and use Mirror modifier with X and Y mirroring enabled to nicely fill up the remaining 3 quarters :wink:

Hint #2: I don’t think these huge ngons would do you any good, especially if you’re planning on exporting this model. Consider designing your topology using quads.

Hi Stan,

thanks so much for the really quick help. I think this will help me a lot. Unfortunatly I am right now not at my PC to test it. I have some additional questions, hope you (or somebody else) can help on this.

Would the steps you mentioned (first paragraph) also work, if I had not the pre-cut face but instead a plain big face? Because making this pre cuts take also a lot of time. So is there also a possibility to “integrate” the window into a big face, or delete the face, put the dublicate in place and fill the gaps (maybe)? :slight_smile:

Regarding your first hints. I tried the mirror modifier on another model and maybe something went wrong and I had some problems with the export and the normals in my texturing programm. But I will give it a try! Thanks for this.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the ngons. I have to clean them up. They happend as I start cutting the shape of the window with the knife tool. I think there are better ways to start modling in the middle of a face, but that was the first comming to my mind. I am happy for any new idea! :wink:

So thanks a lot for your help so far!

Cheers!

Hi Stan,

thanks so much for the really quick help. I think this will help me a lot. Unfortunatly I am right now not at my PC to test it. I have some additional questions, hope you (or somebody else) can help on this.

Would the steps you mentioned (first paragraph) also work, if I had not the pre-cut face but instead a plain big face? Because making this pre cuts take also a lot of time. So is there also a possibility to “integrate” the window into a big face, or delete the face, put the dublicate in place and fill the gaps (maybe)? :slight_smile:

Regarding your first hints. I tried the mirror modifier on another model and maybe something went wrong and I had some problems with the export and the normals in my texturing programm. But I will give it a try! Thanks for this.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the ngons. I have to clean them up. They happend as I start cutting the shape of the window with the knife tool. I think there are better ways to start modling in the middle of a face, but that was the first comming to my mind. I am happy for any new idea! :wink:

So thanks a lot for your help so far!

Cheers!