Copy rotation weired thing happen

Honeycam 2024-06-18 12-23-10

When the bone goes back to its original position, the movement instantly splashes. it’s weired. And this symptom happens randomly. i copy the neck surface and select 1 vertex and make the group for each scale with copy rotation/location. (this is only use for test 2 scales). copyrotation some angle can happen this problem but i can’t understand why only happen move original position or randomly happen. already tried change x rotation value but same thing happen. can i fix it?

Copy rotation doesn’t work beyond 180 degrees, maybe this is the issue ? for a better diagnosis I would have to look at the file, object origins, constraints, parenting and so on

I don’t like to share files because of some thieves. Any other possible problems by experience?

I’m not sure those fears are warranted. But I respect the desire to keep your work to yourself.

You can also try getting rid of anything that’s valuable (the main character model, etc) and keep only the problematic parts. Then you can share this file. And in the process, you might accidentally find the problem yourself.

From the gif it looks like there are several constraints, some of which below 100% influence. Can you share captures of constraints, transform values and parenting hierarchy ?

In the past, the parent setting was assigned to a bon by amateurs and moved by a driver, but the bon assigned while testing the method has been erased. I tried releasing the parent just in case, but the rotation position changes, and the problem still stands out.

What is the object neckface? I have to admit I never use constraints targeting vertex groups, I’m not sure if they’re at all reliable with copy rotation. Right now your object is deformed by an armature modifier and transformed by a constraint. I would just do either one, but not both. The more complex a setup, the more likely it is to fail at a given point. For the scales, I would try using an armature constraint : to make it work you have to copy the weights of a vertex on the neck, and paste them into the constraint interface. The object should transform as if it were stuck to that part of the body mesh.

An alternative to this would be constraining them to a curved bbone connecting the lower jaw to the torso. That’s what I tend to do in similar situations, but it means rigging the entire neck with bbones, otherwise the curved bbone will stand out because it doesn’t exactly deform like a typical bone chain.

Finally you could also just keep the armature modifier, but that means deformation, and typically you don’t want scales to deform too much, right?

ok. but it’s rigify and i’m still learning stage. already try bendy bone to neck metarig but i generate the rig it’s not Application. Before I tried this, I used the link below. It moves through a driver. There’s so much to calculate and I couldn’t think of a way to fix the clipping problem in certain locations, and I saw a boat tutorial that followed the surface of the water. And now the work is a variant of that. I’ve already thought about and tried a lot of things, but I don’t have any data and it’s hard.

I can’t help you with rigify, but you don’t have to choose a method that involves modifying the rig if you’re worried that it might break something. Going for the armature constraint solution, for example, would likely work fine. First off you have to decide how you want things to move. Do you want the scales to deform? or do you want them to transform only?

Scales are hard stuff. They shouldn’t be deformed. If you look at the GIF of the top post of the link I posted, you’ll understand what I’m trying to do. Re-creating the rig will be done if necessary.

I understand. You don’t want the scales to deform at all, instead they should slide and lock into each other as the neck moves, right? Why don’t you try your luck with a curve-based setup? you can tack it on the existing rig, see where it gets you. Example :
scales_neck.blend (1.1 MB)

1 Like

Yes, I actually tried it, but I failed to use it because I wasn’t good enough. Is it possible to add a controller in the middle of this curve and connect it to an amateur bone to follow along? I’ve only seen a similar move like this once in a work by another artist. Now I know how. It looks like it needs to be adjusted, but it looks like it’s going to work. Is there a course on this? (This might be my lack of understanding.) And this happens while trying to catch it to look like my creator’s neckline. It looks like a 180 degree problem like copy rotation.

oh my god this is showing to hope for me

Yes, it is more or less the same problem. It is easily solved by making another curve in front of the first one, putting empties on it, and aiming the scales at the empties with Damped Track constraints.

But using curves and bones is notorious for creating cycling dependency problems, even with modern Blender versions. So I would advise to do this using bbones only, or go with armature constraints.

Here’s another try, this time with a bbone :

Bbones solve the orientation problem, but scales are still going to go through one another unless you constrain them somehow. This has to be figured out on your model, I don’t think there’s anything else I can do from here. It may be possible with a combination of floor constraints and track constraints. The idea I’m thinking of is : use a helper bone for each scale, floor-constrained onto the next scale. If you position them well, the helper bone will be lifted when coming into contact with the next scale, and then you can aim the scale at the lifted bone to follow the orientation. I don’t have time to tinker with it anymore, unfortunately. Good luck !

1 Like

Thank you, i will need more study and research, but I think it will work.

1 Like

Couldn’t help but tinker a bit more. If you aim each scale bone towards the next scale bone, they lock together a bit better. But then again it has to be done on the model to figure out where and when the collisions are most problematic.

Later !

1 Like