Couple rigging questions: deforming cloth and a bone parenting issue (Rigify)

Hi,

I’m learning Blender and working on a little pet project.

First the parenting issue. My character has a helmet, and the helmet is currently parented to the Armature as a bone. This seems to work fine in the beginning (I turn the Rigify head bone and the helmet with all the bits attached to it turn); however, the moment I move forward in the timeline (and I touch absolutely nothing else), the connection seems to be lost and only a few bits of the helmet (not the actual helmet mesh, but some other meshes parented to it) move.

To my knowledge, I don’t have any dodgy keyframes that would change the bone’s influence (there’s nothing visible in the dope sheet and I don’t see any keyframe-indicator lines in the timeline). Any suggestions?

Second questions is a more “how is this usually done” sort of thing. This is better explained in a picture:

So basically, sideways rotation is easy - simply don’t weight paint the other side of the coat and it deforms as it should. Rotating forwards is much more complicated - here the other side should be affected…

This probably isn’t the easiest model to practice with now that I think of it but I’m sure I’m not the first one to run into these issues.

Thanks a lot in advance!

(Bonus question: my model contains N meshes, the boots, trousers etc. are all separate. Should I join them into a single mesh or is it fine if I parent each individual one to the rig?)

never used rigify, but I guess you parented helmet mesh to the wrong bone, so keyframes you make do not contain any information about helmet translation

something tells me Im not the only one who cant really see anything in your second pic

“bonus question” =D
As far as I saw all these objects are kept separate, I just see no reason in joining them

The thing is, I’m not even keyframing anything yet. If I translate or rotate the head in frame 0, the helmet (and its accessories) move. If I click frame 10 and translate/rotate it, it doesn’t work. I don’t do anything else in between than click frame 10 in timeline - no keyframes or anything are set.

something tells me Im not the only one who cant really see anything in your second pic

Okay, maybe the picture wasn’t all that clear after all. It kinda dawned upon me later on though (thanks to #blender on Freenode) that I can “simply” separately rig the hem (and in the proces, realize that my edge loops suck).

Dealing with the overlapping panel/hem can be done a number of ways. A separate rig, or more simply a separate bone in the same rig, will work but I’d make that my last resort solution. You can use a shape key to correct for the intersection at specific points in the motion (or motion cycle). Or you might be able to just weight the hem’s vertices in exactly the right fashion to keep it from intersecting – a lot depends on how the model & rig are constructed, though, so it’s hard to be specific.

The first problem sounds like something that will require looking at the .blend file, as there are a lot of sneaky ways that meshes can get hung up when it comes to rigging.

Hm, right. My hem’s doesn’t stretch very far down anyway so I think I’ll rig it with a few extra bones. Maybe I can even set up a simple constraint system to handle some of the basic leg movements automatically. I’ll have to experiment.

I think there are far too few tutorials on a) weight painting and b) rigging more complicated things. There are a myriad of rigging tutorials but they all just tell you how to connect rigify armature to your model. Humane Rigging videos are fantastic, I wish there was a Vol 2 (clothes, fat, more complicated accessories etc.). I’m sure part of the problem is that those are more advanced topics that fewer people are familiar enough with to produce a tutorial.

I’ll try to see if I can isolate the problem and ideally reproduce it in a fresh scene (my scene’s a bit bloated atm).

Thanks a lot for your help!