Cowboy/Fedora hat: Need help making it look more real.

Hello all.

Sculpted, did a retopo, textured, shaded, added small hairs around the mesh. Any advise for making it look more real? Any help would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Thanks

-Bon

P.s lighting still needs to be changed, and the fur needs to look less like cobwebs.

Attachments

Ah, a fedora hat :slight_smile: This is already very cool, especially the lighting and the so called hair lights!

The band is unfinished of course and the feathers could use some additional love. In order to make it look more real - it looks very real already - all those little details count. Which birds do have such feathers? But that’s maybe only me, showing the lack of knowledge :wink:

Hi again Minoribus! Thank you very much :slight_smile:
Yep, working on the band shaders. going to render a new image tonight!
Ummm, the feather textures are just stand-ins at the moment, but they will change in the new render, or the one after that. I think they are chicken feathers :stuck_out_tongue: I just dropped them into photoshop and tweaked some stuff!

Thanks very much for you’re feedback, and I will have a new image ready by tomorrow :wink:

It looks pretty real now. The only thing that I can suggest improving is the feathers, which could have a bit of waviness along the edges, and maybe some separation of the fibers especially toward the base.

@Mordon: Definitely changing the feathers, these where just stand-in ones at the moment!

Thanks

Okay, updated it quicker then I expected! Added a small peacock feather, I thought it looked slightly nicer, although it might change, I don’t know. Updated: Feather, band shaders, and just some general tweaking!

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Attachments

I like the new feather but how about some dirt?

Good idea! I will paint a map tomorrow, and make it look more worn! :slight_smile:
Thanks for the advise!

-Bon-

Okay, so I updated a few things, added very slight dirt a slight colour difference in some areas, added a slight camera blur (I don’t think you can even see it, lol) but it will just give a slightly more real effect I think. I’m going to fix the band now, and get that looking better.

Click to see higher res :wink:

Attachments

Excellent!

I think it could benefit from a more pronounced key light. The peacock feather is well done and nicely executed. First I thought that it was very small but looking at references I see that there are small feathers of such a kind at the base of the feathered tail.

@Minoribus: Thank you very much for you’re help and comments! Yes, I totally agree about the lighting, but this is not going to be the final image, so I have not addressed the lighting yet. At the moment, it only has a strong backlight and a HDR light probe, just as a testing base. Yeah, the peacock feather stuck me as odd at first too, lol!

Thanks once again! :slight_smile: I might not post another update until maybe late tomorrow, because now that I have done the hat (but I’ll still be tweaking it right up until the final image) It’s time to set up the scene and lighting.
Also, the head model isn’t going to be in the final scene, it is just for testing how the head would look if it was on a head.

Attachments