Cowboy Portrait

Hi, this is my first work fully done in Blender / Cycles. The idea was to make a cowboy portrait, adding a bit of the old times feel to it. Please let me know your thoughts.

cheers G.

Attachments

This is brilliant! Love his facial hair! Personally as a casual ‘wearer’ of cowboy hats, I something doesn’t feel right with that hat, it’s cool but it would look cooler if it was broader and a bit thinner :wink:

This is cool picture :slight_smile: I love the sculpt. I’m almost sorry that the lower part of the face is covered by the facial hair. It’s really well done. But I’m not sorry, because that beard and mustache look really great! And the textures - really impressive. Great stuff.

krystof: Thanks. I’ll fix that in the next version
pawelsomogyi: Thanks. yea, the beard was too tempting

I have updated the picture with with a crop, I felt the rest was not as important.

Added a new image. Doubled the resolution and cropped the camera.

This is great well done! I think the facial hair looks a bit too much like… hair lol. It might just be me, but it looks a bit think, facial hair, or at least mine and the people here in Sweden have very coarse hair strands. But overall a great image!

Oskarious: thanks

outstanding work, I love the skin of your model, great work, I feel like this is top row material.

I think the mustache hair starts a little too high up on the nose, but otherwise, looks pretty good!

What I mean is if you look at real photos of mustaches…

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C2TSNP_enUS551US552&q=mustache&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.53899372,d.eWU,pv.xjs.s.en_US.E_HR746bqA4.O&biw=1366&bih=643&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=TNVYUqSYIYnk9ATOrYHgDw#hl=en&q=real%20mustache%20photos&revid=2117364106&tbm=isch&um=1
… you won’t see hair growing ON the strip of skin between the nostrils.

Are you sure it isn’t a photo :p. Excellent work :smiley:

estuardorosales: thanks.
gradyp: I’ll look into that.
JoanD: thanks

Good Job, a few things that I think could be improved though:

The hat could use more sculpting, right now it’s so rigid that you can tell it’s cg. Also some sort of “softer” shading look could also help, maybe a small translucency mix, some velvet… maybe less abuse of bump mapping and more real sculpted detail.

I believe that in the face you are not making your very good sculpting a favor, since with the shaders you are “eating” the detail. The face looks much more detailed and realistic in the viewport than in the render, since in the render you can barely see the details. You can either make a cavity or occlusion map to strengthen the wrinkles, less texture blur, increase the bump… Maybe less SSS, your call, but it would really help to see those wrinkles better.

The lips look great.

The beard and moustache… mmm, looks really good, but there is something off with it… in the sense that somehow even though it looks very realistic, doesn’t look much like human hair… seems more like horse hair or something… Maybe being less thick and more random could help… Maybe a bit more translucent too…

Anyway, in general very good work.