Craig's 2d painting in Blender

Yes, tried blurring it out to get rid of it, but dilating so far kinda pushed it past where it could be hidden. Still want to work more on these as I go.

Borrowed the pixelize setup from this thread

I added a sharpen filter and got a decent tile edge, pretty cool square mosaic result. Not fancy or anything lol

You can use the Fill tool to drop a custom gradient on an image, and mix it with color mix node, and then paint grunge with a brush mask like cloud or musgrave to add some old detail

Ha ha, most people paint that stuff out! Nice gradient, never thought to use a simple ramp as an overlay like that…

On the block effect I altered the 1st transform node +45deg, then the second -45deg. You get a cool diamond effect instead.

I have to try that- hadn’t thought to experiment with that yet, got carried away when I saw a tutorial on reducing colors to get large pixels, and overlaying to a fill pattern of Lego bump tiles. I want to try that next, just need to work out the widths and array.

I saw a cool photoshop thing with a weave pattern affecting a portrait photo, so I decided to do the same with cycles and blender curves converted to mesh. I unwrapped to camera view so that the same image was across the layered parts.

Craig if I ever finish that damn project of mine the tablet comes out and it’s back to this thread. Please keep the explanations coming along with the talented work.

Oh will do - currently getting some time in on dyntopo sculpting for sculptember. I’ll be back onto the painting after that is over, though I will probably try to use grease pencil for the inktober event.

Inktober submission with ballpoint, but I used blender to paint by sampling the inktones created from blending with saliva - so I woudl get tones that were consistent with the media. Fun little 10 minute thing :smiley:

Very cool Craig - wait - did you say saliva? Is that a Blender plugin or do you actually mean your bodily fluid? In either case that’s very creative :).

Yes, saliva - I spit on my finger and rubbed the ink to get some blending, but then took the result into blender’s image editor paint and sampled those tones and painted further :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a blender doodle while I do other work :smiley:

It doesn’t seem to show in your post, may be it’s too shy. :smiley:
But having seen your previous work, i’m courious to see this doodle too :wink:

I guess I had internet troubles worse than I thought yesterday - but I painted a doodle, then decided to sculpt it out after looking at some references. Still want to do more with it than comping opengl renders, but we will see :smiley:

You can also split up your uv image editor into multiple editors, working on several blockouts at once

Attachments

I made a few brushes to show how procedurals can be used in texture painting with the brush mask, so I uploaded a file to google drive and made a short video showing them being used on the stencil layer. Link is in the video description on youtube. I disabled adverts and monetization for this, just added some music since I wasn’t talking.

Not much, but a file with some gradient fill brushes and a pdf on how to make them

Are you going to give GP a try at some point? Might be cool for high con images?

I need to wait for the new tools to hit trunk I thnk - most of the video stuff has been beyond what I can do from here