Crashed Ship

How many polygons is that is how long did it take to render, the detail level is quite incredible all the way to the foilage on the ground.

remember this was post-prod!(still, w8, eaven more of a wow!)

Hey guys,

Wow! I get home from my soccer game and pop up the thread. . .

Anyway um. . .some facts about the rendering. There are about 6 million verts during render time, and I had 6 different passes composited together in Gimp.

Everything is modeled except the mini tree/bushes, which were generated with Plant Studio 2 (forgot to mention that in the first post). Some of the overhead branches were 2d images on planes, too. Most of the grass was made with Blender’s particle system, and the larger foliage was hand modeled.

ajc158: Yeah, you’re right, the background trees are a little off in the texturing. One of the things I should change if I ever revisit this.

-Obiwan

Why not use Blender’s compositor like me, RobertT and several others because it can put together layers?

6 million verts, that’s at least between 3 and 4 million faces, my computer would just barely be able to handle that.

WOW… Amazing! Thats all i can say.

It’s absoluely superb!!!

5 *****

:cool:

I agree with others, this is great peace of work! Details on the front tree are amazing, rear trees do look little off but nothing to wory about!

Really nice, I feel like I’ve just stumbled onto it! Any chance of a wire for the different elements?

It’s amazing that none of the trees were snapped off in the fall to ground :wink:

Amazing textures.
And look at those leaves.
Would be great if there was more damage to the hull. Like that wing (?) to the front, if it was broken backwards or smt.
A ship in a crash landing usually doesn’t fall from the sky top down but makes a dive through the trees.
P

new desktop image 4 me. That image is crazy good.

Well done! Very good, reminds somehow of starwars!!!

***** (Its stars)

This is amazing work. You should be very proud. The feel, tone, everything in this pictures draws you in and makes it feel real.

VERY NICELY DONE!

2d

Hey guys,

There are some very helpful comments, thanks alot for all of those. :slight_smile:

Cyborg Dragon: I didn’t use blender’s compositor for two reasons; first, I’m not familiar with it, so I would have had to take the time to learn a bunch of things I can already do in GIMP in a few seconds; second, although Blender’s compositor is very poweful, it doesn’t have all the tools I need to get the job done. Things like painting shadows and highlights, cloning areas to blend the layers together, etc., all need a third party app. to accomplish.

David Mcsween and vliegtuig: You are both right, some more accurate signs of damage and decay to both the ship and environment would make the scene more believeable.

Here is a little behind the scenes for anyone interested. I had to render in layers (my computer couldn’t handle everything rendering together), so I don’t have one un-GIMPed render to show you. Here are some of the passes, though:

http://s95337746.onlinehome.us/Ship_Layer.jpg

http://s95337746.onlinehome.us/Foliage_Layer.jpg

http://s95337746.onlinehome.us/CloseTree_Layer.jpg

I’ve also got a couple screenshots and a wireframe of the ship:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Ship Wireframe

-Obiwan

This is the most amazing blender pic I think I’ve evers seen!

Great work. Fantastic stuff.

This need to be in the blender site gallery. Its great work a home run in modeling, texturing, light and color.

Impressive!

Really Beautiful Peice of Work!

Great mood! The texture work and lighting are very well done, congrats!

ausome work. 5super wu-men from me(as super wu seems 2 be replacing suzane as the blender mascot :))

i wish i could texture like u.

—Shamem

As everyone stated:
Really great!!!

Just one comment:
Ship looks like it had crashed quite a time ago, so nature has grown back, but there could still be some trees which where broken… during the accident, like an old fallen tree or such things…
Just for the next time…