Create a loop of holes

Hi everybody! What I wanna do is creating a series of holes in a mesh, well, actually in a face of a cube. My biggest problem is how to create the loop of the holes… you know, I cannot use an array modifier because a hole is not an object.
I wonder if there is a specific option in blender that allows to have an object that subtract its shape to the shape of an other one…

I wonder if there is a specific option in blender that allows to have an object that subtract its shape to the shape of an other one…
You mean like the boolean modifier?

well you could use Bezier circle then add in edit mode as many holes as you wish

or make a square add a hole in middle then us array modifier

happy 2.5

a hole is always an object!
What is a hole without its border?

You create one hole with its border
and if you want to use the array modifier to
create multiple of it and connect those,
then the border has to be like a quadrat (plane with equal sides).
Then add one array modifier for the row of those holes
and a second array modifier for the columns …
and you end up with a flat plane with equal sides filled with holes

btw. i think there was a video-tutorial (maybe blender-2.49) creating
such a hole-pinched surface … or even using complicated ornaments
in a tiled way to create a whole surface filled with those …

That’s exactly what I was looking for… but I’m not able to use it :frowning: … I apply it to a cube, to a sphere, to both of them, but nothing happens :frowning:

Position the cylinder to cross the cube. Apply the Boolean Modifier to the Cube. In the modifier setting, pick “Difference” as an Operation. Pick Cylinder as an Object. Hit Apply. The display will not change. Because, the Cylinder is still sitting there. Move the cylinder and see.

Works! Magic!!!
Sorry for the noob post :frowning:

Be careful with boolean functions as they often severely destroy the objects mesh.