Create your own Blender with new modifers and faster rendering

To answer several question I had, yes the course is updated regularly and works on official 2.80 release. I updated a patch to resolve some new speed bottlenecks that were added in Blender 2.80 some weeks ago. So I recommend everybody to have a look to the new version.

2 Likes

This is an update on the E-Cycles course I applied only the patches related to performance to the latest Blender source for both Cycles Cuda and Optix. Below is the test comparing this course build with E-Cycles Cuda/Optix and the daily build Optix.

The test where done with a 2x 2070 RTX with the latest E-Cycles/RTX 2.81 with Cuda boost enable and Blender daily build.

The BWM scene modified by increasing the output from 50% to 100%, since the render time was to fast at 50%.

BMW scene - output size 100%:

E-Cycle Course Build - 32x32: 1:10.01.
E-Cycle - 32x32: 1:09.50. (Use 32x32 tiles because auto tiles at 16x16 was a little slower.)

Blender Daily Build Optix - 256x256: 58:25.
E-Cycle Course Build Optix - 256x256: 51:22.
E-Cycle Optix - auto tile: 45.55.

Classroom scene:

E-Cycle Course Build - 32x32: 1:41.18.
E-Cycle - auto tile: 1:40.48.

Blender Daily Build Optix - 256x256: 1:17:11.
E-Cycle Course Build Optix - 256x256: 1:12.50.
E-Cycle Optix - auto tile: 1:05.13.

Chocofur archviz course scene:

E-Cycle Course Build - 32x32: 4:10.27.
E-Cycle - 32x32: 5:00.72 (Use 32x32 tiles because auto tiles at 16x16 was a little slower.)

Blender Daily Build Optix - 256x256: 4:39.48.
E-Cycle Course Build Optix - 256x256: 3:53:97.
E-Cycle Optix - auto tile: 3:41.65.

Summary:

In E-Cycles their is a need for two separate builds for best performance one Cuda and one for Optix. The E-Cycles course build only one build is needed for good performance in both Cuda and Optix. The course patches never expired so no problem to keep using it to build with the latest Blender and adding your own customization if desired.

Comparing the E-Cycles course build with E-Cycles it performance just as fast in the light scenes and it is faster in heavy scenes like the Chocufur archviz (I double check this results).

Comparing the E-Cycles course build Optix with E-Cycles Optix it is little slower in light scenes and in heavy scenes it is quiet close.

Hopefully bliblubli will update this course for 2020. Once learning process of building your on Blender is done it will give the most flexibility.

1 Like

The course patches were all updated for 2.81. You now have the choice between the 2.80 and 2.81 version.

4 Likes

Thanks Mathieu for updating the patches. I would be interested in a new course covering your new optimization including Optix.

1 Like

Wooooo i also got a Pro DUO and various Titan X … wooo nice idea. You still use it? it works?
fantastic!

1 Like

Yes I still have my Pro Duo running only the Display and am rendering on 2 x 4gig gtx 970s… for now. :slight_smile:

After coding my own build of Blender from the Course, my two little gtx 970s are more than twice as fast as my 32gig Pro duo which is why I only use it to run my display monitor.

I’ve just ordered a new machine with 32 cores and a 24gig titan so I’m looking forward to that.

Frank

3 Likes

The course is on sale for a limited time. Enter the coupon code easter today on the Blender Market and get 50% off the edition of your choice!

• learn to make Blender fully non-destructive by adding new modifers.
  • learn to mix branches and patches available on the tracker and git to make a version which perfectly fits your needs.
  • learn to change the UI to fit your workflow and speed-up your creation process.
  • learn how to make Cycles faster (Standard + Cycles edition only).

It’s made for beginners too. Some students like Johannes made some new particles systems:

Some of the students even have their code already commited in official Blender and where featured on Blender Today! :

Happy learning!

1 Like

Hi Mathieu, could you by any chance have a different coupon code for this course for blender market? I’m trying to buy it there but the coupon code easter comes up as being invalid.

Mathieu, Just heard back from blender market support. That coupon has expired. Kindly help me out with the correct coupon code. Cheers.

1 Like

Fixed just for you :slight_smile:

All good now, coupon accepted. Thanks Mathieu!

1 Like

I’m interested in this course. When will it be available again?

Hi Gilberto,

the course was only working up to Blender 2.90. New versions require updated tools and I would generally rewrite it with more modern tools. As soon as I have time to make an updated version, it will be available again.

Kind regards,
Mathieu

2 Likes

Oh this is very cool and I’m glad it’s still alive. Can’t wait for the 2.93.0 and future updates This is the best course that I’ve ever bought. :slight_smile:

Super easy way to learn how to code thanks to @bliblubli for creating such an easy course. :slight_smile:

I wrote a bunch of tools that export the entire 3D scene with render passes to another 3D program for further compositing and magic. The 3D scene and render passes from both programs match up pixel perfect plus having the same 3D scene in both programs provides some insane masking and compositing benefits. :slight_smile:

Frank

2 Likes