Creating a model in what order should i do the workflow ?

I’m creating a human model.
I’m into no hurry with it, and once in a while i improve it a bit more.
But that is also a bit worrisome to me.

Because now it goes like this, at first i created a base model… realy basic.
I even rigified it, it was a ‘working’ model, but pretty raw shaped.

Then based on it I made a better model, an all quads retopo.
But hands fingers, ears feet etc still those parts i can improve.

On the other hand, for example the eyes; i 've textured, but the face as a whole is not yet textured.
Neither is the torso skin, but some futures now use a different cycles skin, as for nails and lips.

Now i find myself flipping in between ‘model workflow tasks’.
Because i’m still changing the mesh now i wonder what are safe things to do; when the mesh isnt yet finished.

Like can i texture parts, while i am still also changing the human mesh ?
Will changing the mesh, kill the regify bone structure ?. (so then should i do bones as the very last thing)
Or when doing facial morph’s would they inflict with the bones or not ?.

I’d like to now in which order people do this, and if its ok for example to work with textures earlies even if the mesh isnt ready, because a texture also adds to the model shape…i find it it a bit hard to find the right balance as to where to stop or where to go on.

I’m asking for a bit of practical advice here.
Maybe you have re-fine-turned a model too, and got into this similar problem.

My typical workflow in character modeling is face first, following detailed reference images or concept drawings, then the body minus hands and feet. then hands and feet following their own detailed reference. of course if the body type is similar to any other characters in my personal library, i just append the body from that file, cut off the head, and weld the old body to the new head.

Only after all modeling is done should you start texturing or rigging. although rigging is easier to adjust for new topology than texturing is. So if your not sure of your modeling skill or topology, rig and weight paint when you think your model is done, check out the range of motion and make any adjustments to the mesh like more or less loops in flexing areas (sometimes less really is more!). then when your happy with all of that, start unwrapping and texturing. a trick i’ve started using on my simpler characters is to go ahead and colorize the model poly by poly with different colored materials. then when you unwrap the model, you can scroll to the Bake tab at the very bottom of the render properties panel, set it to texture, and bake out a color map from the blender materials currently assigned. save the UVs and image to separate files, then open them both in photoshop or Gimp, copy visible on the UVs, paste it as a new layer over the color. and presto, base colors and UV guides already complete for your model!

its never too late to go in and redo parts of models. ive completely deleted and rebuilt parts of faces that just wernt working out right on models before after rigging, texturing, and animation were done, all you have to do is select the new polys and uv unwrap them to the existing texture image. so its not the end of the world no matter what order you do things in. its just far easier to complete the model before doing the other steps.

1. Yes. The changes are minimal; sometimes you might want to add extra geometry to prevent the texture to stretch in an ugly fashion if you find out that pulling the current vertices around isn’t enough to prevent an UV to stretch.
  2. Yes. Do bones when you are very sure that your model is final.
  3. Yes. The bones, if they have assigned weights will conflict with new polygons you make because they will have 0 influence on the new polygons.

I felt the same a while ago. Sometimes I feel better to just draw a reference as accurate as possible (front and profile, other views are optional) and “plane modelling” it instead of box modelling it, starting by the hardests parts as eyelids, mouth/lips, nose, ear and then you weld them all together by adding planes in between using Extrude (E) for large parts, Merge (Ctrl+M) to fuse individual vertices and a lot of Grab (G). From there, you can either make the body a separate part and then weld it to the head, or just Extrude from the neck and pray that the resulting geometry isn’t too overwhelming to handle when you start to work the chest and the rest of the limbs.

I like to do it as a separate mesh to have more control on the geometry and add Edge Loops when I need them to appear (same for the hands and feet if they are too complicated to Extrude from the main body/limb).