Creating Convincing Images with Blender Internal

Hi there! My first Blender article is now up. I’m so glad I made it through. The article is about creating good-looking (uhhhh) images with the use of Blender’s internal renderer and some lighting, staging, and compositing tricks all from within Blender itself. :slight_smile:

I hope you’ll learn something from it. If you have any suggestions, comments, reactions, or just anything you wish to say, feel free to drop by a note or email me at [email protected].

And by the way, I really need some of your thoughts on how I would go about on my next article or better yet, suggest a topic that you would like me to write about.

Thanks, everyone and thanks so much to Packt Publishing for the opportunity. :slight_smile:

Here’s the article link: http://www.packtpub.com/article/creating-convincing-images-blender-internal-renderer-1

Attachments

maybe your next tutorial could be on good modeling techniques.

Wow! I think this should be sticky somewhere- this is the first tutorial I’ve seen to walk you through the entire process from start to finish to get a great looking result. Awesome for newbies wanting to get up and running quick (like me). :3

WOW, im a noob, and this is exactly what im looking for, i am going to start this little project today, thanks :smiley:

i just wanted to say thank you so much! I would like to think I’m just above the n00b level on blender now, and I was aware of ways to get DoF using nodes and I constantly use AO, I also understood the concept of HDRi images, and how they were used, I simply never used one. But the two things I think I learned the most from this, is how to use area lights (and I know, you don’t even cover them, its just your settings tipped me off) and the “glowing” insides of the spheres, I would never even have though of using a color ramp. Anyways, wanted to say thank you, and things like this are the reason I’m so happy with blender :smiley:

Thank you very much! This is gonna be a big help.

Possibly modeling tutorial next?

Thanks on the suggestion, I’ll try that. =)

Wow, somehow I felt different after reading your comment, it means so much. Thanks a lot. Hopefully I’d be receiving the same kind comment from you on my next articles. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

-Reyn

Cool! I would love to see how your project went. =)

Hehehehe! Thanks too for the kind words! Goodluck. :slight_smile:

You’re very welcome. Yeah, that’d be great, I’ll try that. =)

I totally agree this should be sticky. Maybe you should ask mods/admins. I’m sure it would help many people.
Both parts were very good and easy to follow, and I read them in no time.

For your next article, why not just do what you talked about in the closing comments in part 2, and especially using image textures since it would be the next logical step after good lighting and using procedural textures:

Hopefully next time, I could dig in more into the details of achieving high quality images using a combination of textures and how to incorporate soft body, cloth, and fluid dynamics into the scene to create a stunning realistic image.

Keep up with the good work.

Very nice tutorial! Excellent for a beginner who wants to see results right away.

You should post the link on Blendernation Links in addition to getting it made sticky here on BA…

I will be co-presenting a workshop for in a few months for some colleagues. May I include a link to your tutorial in the resources packet?

Again, very nice tutorial.

Thanks for the suggestion, WayStar. I have tried requesting from Blendernation Links before but I had no luck, probably I might have to try again this time.

Sure, you can include a link to my tutorial, no problem.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

-Reyn

I’d feel very grateful if this was made sticky since the primary purpose I had in mind while writing this article was to help users the easiest and most convenient way possible and wouldn’t want them to go through the hard road I’ve been in learning Blender years ago.

Yeah, I think I should have another article up regarding those parts you’ve mentioned. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

-Reyn

interesting … Thanks

I’ve had quick look at your tutorial and it absolutely point out a few thing that I should get better on. Here are a few more tips to share.

Sharper rendered edges
I want to give you one tip for rendering that may improve your rendering. Under the Rendering tab (F10) just above where it says “border”. This is where you set the anti aliasing of edges in your render. Initially this is set to ‘Gauss’, which gives some kind of blurry edges. I would suggest setting it to ‘Mitch’ and a value of 1.10 to give sharper renderings.

Render only a part of the image
Often one need to do a bit of tweaking of parameters to get things right. It is time consuming to render the entire image all the time. Instead one can render only a part of it. To do this, switch to camera view. Press Shift+B and mark the area you want to be rendered. The ‘Border’ button under Render tab (F10) gets automatically switched on, switch this off to do a full rendering of the image again.

Switch between two rendered images
Use the ‘J’ button in the external render window makes you switch between two image buffers. Hence you may render one image, do some adjustments, hit the ‘J’ button when the external render image has focus and render again. Use ‘J’ to see the difference between the two renderer’s. Key ‘F11’ to switch between external render window and Blender.

Use a disk shape as ground
Instead of having a square as the ground, use a disk instead. It makes the ground look more eternal on surfaces that have reflections. I think this just looks better.

Awesome, awesome awesome. Materials and rendering seems to be the least covered area in blender, but you did it all in your tutorial. Now if I could only understand what all that stuff you did actually does.

Wow, thanks for the tip! I admit, I did forget to tell the readers about the buffer image setting (“J KEY”) and the border render. Probably next time I’ll remember to include that. Thanks for reminding me about the render border setting, too. The last time I touched that setting was like 1 year ago. Yikes! And man, you do have a point about the disk shaped ground. HmmmMm…

Thanks so much for the great great help, man! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

-Reyn

Thanks a bunch! I would really want to expound more on the whys and hows of the settings but I thought that might take and add up on fewer more pages. I highly suggest that you browse on the Blender Wiki whenever you feel something or some terms seems amissing.

Thanks, Velocity! :slight_smile:

-Reyn