Creating curved shapes without primitives

I’ve just gotten started with Blender, and I want to model something similar to the octuptarra droid of Star Wars. You can see it has a large, globe-shaped head with three vaguely triangular “lips”. I was able to make a similar shape in FreeCAD using the following steps:

1. Sketch the outline of the outer shape and pad it.
  2. Sketch the outline of the inner shape and pad it.
  3. Subtract the inner shape from the outer shape to get an inverted V shape.
  4. Duplicate the spherical head and subtract it from the V to make its inner edge match the curve of the sphere.
  5. Duplicate the spherical head twice and enlarge one by the intended thickness of the V, then subtract them from each other to create a hollow sphere. Then subtract that from the V to trim the excess outward padding.
  6. Make a polar array that creates two copies of the final shape.

The finished result can be seen here.

How can I replicate something like this in Blender? I don’t know how to sketch the curve, pad it, or how to bend it around a sphere.

Hi, Blender is not a CAD, and therefore has a completely different workflow, first I advise you to understand the basics then afterwards you will find various ways to do things. in this particular case you need to know these modifiers:

Blender Fundamentals 2.8

Array Modifier
Shrinkwrap Modifier
Geometry
Solidify Modifier

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, @pafurijaz! After reviewing the articles you linked, I think the Blender workflow to do this might look like:

1. Draw the arch shape as a curve.
  2. Use Geometry to extrude the curve.
  3. Use Solidify to give the correct depth to the extrusion.
  4. Use Shrinkwrap to wrap the arch shape around the curve of the sphere.
  5. Add an Array modifier to duplicate it around the axis.

Am I on the right track? I’m going to start watching the Fundamentals series you posted today as well.