I’ve just gotten started with Blender, and I want to model something similar to the octuptarra droid of Star Wars. You can see it has a large, globe-shaped head with three vaguely triangular “lips”. I was able to make a similar shape in FreeCAD using the following steps:
- Sketch the outline of the outer shape and pad it.
- Sketch the outline of the inner shape and pad it.
- Subtract the inner shape from the outer shape to get an inverted V shape.
- Duplicate the spherical head and subtract it from the V to make its inner edge match the curve of the sphere.
- Duplicate the spherical head twice and enlarge one by the intended thickness of the V, then subtract them from each other to create a hollow sphere. Then subtract that from the V to trim the excess outward padding.
- Make a polar array that creates two copies of the final shape.
The finished result can be seen here.
How can I replicate something like this in Blender? I don’t know how to sketch the curve, pad it, or how to bend it around a sphere.