Creating faces problem

I have this selection -
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/the_jinj/sgsel.jpg
Is the only way to create solid faces to select points by hand?
The problem being that it gets tricky at the curved sections and is hard to avoid triangles.

Pretty new to this stuff so be gentle :wink:

Shift+F - this will fill the mesh up, but do it ugly-like
Then Alt+F - this will attempt to clean it up a little
Then Alt+F again
Then Alt+F again
etc until it doesn’t change anymore
Then Alt+J which will attempt to turn some of the tris into quads

Better though for something like this would be to make it out of bezier curves.

Thanks for the reply Philip -

Shift-F doesn’t work - I can extrude then scal to 0 in the centre but it will overlap parts.
I did make this with beziers but I don’t know how to make a face with them so I converted it to a mesh…

so all of this time that i have been sellecting all these verts by hand and been creating faces all i had is sellect them all and shift f… well i guess knowing is half the battle.

Ah, I’m guessing it wasn’t a closed loop?
Press C with the curve selected (in edit mode) and it will close the loop (press it again to open it) and then it will be filled with a face, and you can mess with the Ext1 and Ext2 sliders in EditButtons (F9).
Note: putting the two end-points on the same place doesn’t count - delete one of them and then press C.

This could also be why Shift+F isn’t working - go all the way around and make sure you have a complete loop, no edges missing. If you did do the put-the-two-endpoints-in-the-same-place thing then try removing doubles first.

Ah, I’m guessing it wasn’t a closed loop?
Press C with the curve selected (in edit mode) and it will close the loop (press it again to open it) and then it will be filled with a face, and you can mess with the Ext1 and Ext2 sliders in EditButtons (F9).
Note: putting the two end-points on the same place doesn’t count - delete one of them and then press C.

This could also be why Shift+F isn’t working - go all the way around and make sure you have a complete loop, no edges missing. If you did do the put-the-two-endpoints-in-the-same-place thing then try removing doubles first.[/quote]

Thanks Philip that was the problem - sussed it a while ago - was a case of RTFM :expressionless: