creating games

double post sorry xx

Please stop talking crap.

Real Games have their own, custom game engine made (99% of the time). Blender having a built in game engine (to which i’ll point out, is not the only application in existance with game engines built in) is not an ideal ‘item’ to be boasting about especially since the original was a pile of crap and the one in development is an independant and recent development.

Blender is capable of making good graphical quality in games (see Yo Frankie!), but it can’t do every graphical effect that can be done with the Xbox 360 and PS3 (reflect/refract, volumetric textures, soft shadows and GI). Video texture support is being worked on.
What I don’t get is why you’re trying to compare blender to the PS3 /Xbox 360 as game engine items.

Both consols do have many built in features and their development kits are bound to hold masses of librarys for things like reflect, refract, volumetric textures - but at the end of the day, apart from the few perminatly embedded hardware based graphic processes, they are all but pre written code that does not have to be used - so at the end of the day the graphics are on a per-game basis and closley tied with the programmers and artist that made the game to the consol full capabilities.

So, if you rely on someone else to make your game engine such as blender - and their capabilities are not the same as someone who produces games as a living for the Xbox then you are certain to be missing out on something such as volumtric texture, reflect/refacts.

Which comes to the point - why are you even refering to blender? those things are independant of blender and rather the game engine used. I only saw him ask if blender was capable - not if blender’s game engine was. So the answer is yes.

The only limitation that i am aware of is that blender can’t do some things like bake the normals as a texture? Something along those lines but that wa long time back. Games have a few common traits - or atleast the level of development that seems standard across all games - some of those feature arn’t built into blender so some tweeking may be necessary since blender isn’t driving the gaming industry.

dezmensykes, Yes blender is able to create high quality, graphical games like the PS and Xbox to a certain extent. A 3D application such as blender is for modeling mostly. Games don’t magically pop out of modeling applications - infact they dont at all.

For the few game engines out there made by third parties, they will take in standardised modeling practices and give you a very simplified outcome. For a very small game, for fun; they are perfectly fine, anything larger needs custom programming unless you want your game to join the pile of unfulfilled dreams…

how do you put the models and graphics made in another program like cinema 4d
and put them in the game engine and start making the game?
Save it as a supported 3D format. The game engine might have tools to then convert the file into it’s own file type also.

Then there’s probabily a special directory in the engine for you models etc- and the model will appear in your library list when you run the developer tools. This is all of course, depending on how well your game engine is made assume you’re refering to a 3rd party one.

whats the best 3d program that has the best realistic 3d graphics, and best 3d effects?
That link is a cinematic trailer, so if you are refering to general 3D graphic and not for gaming then you’d be looking towards applications like maya.

your best bet is to pop over to gamedev.net

Did you just get a computer and got the idea to make a game? Have you even used MS Word? Did you just get internet? How old are you?

Answer now! :ba:

Edit: What lukus said.

except

your best bet is to pop over to gamedev.net

They’ll ban you before you know.

First step, learn C/C++ and make a text based video game.

Then learn how to program for OpenGL, and write a game engine with OpenGL.

Then, make content in Blender to put in your game engine. You will know how to do this because you made the game engine yourself.

Congratulations. You have a 3D game.

If you really want to see what kinds of graphics the Blender Game engine is capable of check out these:

Boom
Bathroom Demo

Be warned though that these guys are pros, it takes a lot of work and skill to do stuff like this.

Did you just get a computer and got the idea to make a game? Have you even used MS Word? Did you just get internet? How old are you?

Answer now!

Is your tendency to pour boiling oil on members unusually high today?

Please stop talking crap

Are you assuming I know so little my IQ could very well be at 60? Next thing you know you’ll be trying to correct me on what a square looks like, I answered his question based on what he said:spin:

Blender will always suffer from being jack of all trades, a very flexible, easy to use, rapid prototyping game engine, meaning, you’ll be able to create alot of wonderful art in an equally wonderful game, with the help of great artists

but it will fall behind the performance of an engine optimised for just what it does.

That does not mean bad things about blender, it just means that sacrifices are made, less performance, better ease to use, way better prototyping.

And to end that, games made in blender game engine would have no issues looking good and being fun to play, in the end its usually up to artists.

the games doesn’t have to push hardware limits, it just has to have good art made by good artists :slight_smile:

So answering the question like blender is the only application in the world that can make a game is truly answering a question now is it? Sorry, fanGirls need not apply here.

AD-Eddge,

While it’s the first time I’ve seen those links and I can’t say I’m too interested in reading it, but one of them runs at 5 Frames per second, the other runs at 60FPS and neither have any gaming elements other than being a very small scene from what I can tell.

Those links only prove blender’s lack a ability at attempting to make even mid-ranged games.

Endi’s is quite impressive but then again, he’s working in that area of field - but he also has, as I like to call it; texture syndrome. I.e. the whole thing is just filled with textures upon textures, take it away and you have a box :)) A box running at 5 frames per second :slight_smile:

We’ve yet to see a truly optimised blender game engine creation though, most have been costy due to obvious reasons.

content optimisation, always needed.

Those links only prove blender’s lack a ability at attempting to make even mid-ranged games.

Have you even seen the creations section of the BGE forum? There’s games a bit larger than simple demos that have been completed. Have you even seen Yo Frankie! as well. Or do you think it can’t even hold a candle to Big Rigs Over the Road Racing?

Calling the BGE a pile of crap means you have no respect for Brecht and the other developers who helped fix up and update the BGE, go back to your Autodesk products.

Neither of the demos have ‘gaming elements’ because their just demos of Blender’s capabilities with graphics. I gathered from all of your other posts, that graphics are all your interested in.

Everyones been talking about this Yo Frankie, which is in fact a very nicely done game (good graphics and plenty of game play elements).
Heres a link, if u haven’t already seen it - http://apricot.blender.org/

And yes, there are a lot of textures in those other demos, its to show that blender can make objects with all the proper texture channels that pro games have. You could of course only use two or three textures and still have something nice looking.

Also im not sure if your aware of the techniques of making graphics in games… You are suppose to take a simple object (ie your mentioned cube) and cover it with textures. Its the only way to get detail in any game engine, otherwise youll sacrifice your fps to possessing stupid amounts of geometry.

Other than all that you just need to realize that the BGE is still growing up and developing. Its not at the standard of a lot of game engines these days, but it is certainly capable of some impressive games when in the right hands.

Like everything else, its all up to the artist and game designer, the tool doesn’t make a good game or good art for you, thats a whole other level of expertise.

Lets get some facts out into the air, I said the orginal was a pile of crap. If you’re not going to read it properly I really can’t be assed at even trying to hold a conversation with you. I can hardly take you seriously as it is; since you’ve proven yourself time and time again that you cannot listen to others.

I only said the current one is a recent development. Do you know what bleeding edge is?

“Yo frankie” yes it looks nice. It’s still low end gaming in my books im afraid though. Even if it was the most realistic looking (graphics) game in the world - if it runs slow, upon other things, then its low end.

The demo I quickly downloaded - Slow with minimal screen resolution? Am i supposed to take such a small square seriously when comparing benchmarkings?

It’s not just about a pretty picture. I’ve never played the big rig’s game, i’m sure it’s a bit better than this though.

I also couldn’t give a damn to Brecht. Am i using BGE? No, Do i thus need to pay my respects to him? No. Do I have to be dishonest to myself to please another? No :). Is Brecht a man that can take critisim? Yeh, i’m sure he is, unlike certain people from kansas I know.

We’ve yet to see a truly optimised blender game engine creation though, most have been costy due to obvious reasons.
Which only proves my point. BGE is still a new contender. Dispite how good it looks now or even how well it’s progressing, untill it’s finished to a ‘proper’ stage of development, it’s still just a toy at the moment.

Neither of the demos have ‘gaming elements’ because their just demos of Blender’s capabilities with graphics. I gathered from all of your other posts, that graphics are all your interested in.
Not quite sure what you mean by; “Graphics are all your interested in”

Graphics as in, the topic such as 3D design or graphics as in, pretty pictures? If it’s the first one, then yes I did /do take it quite seriously unfortunatly with my work It’s fucked me up so I withered away for the past 2 years :frowning:

Also im not sure if your aware of the techniques of making graphics in games… You are suppose to take a simple object (ie your mentioned cube) and cover it with textures. Its the only way to get detail in any game engine, otherwise youll sacrifice your fps to possessing stupid amounts of geometry.
I’m fully aware. If you look for Doom 3’s creator notes, there’s an image of the low poly characters in game and the high poly one used to bake the normals.

However, a small scene with just textures is running at 5fps. Counter strike source doesn’t run that slow on my computer at full resolution with all the detail turned up, though my computer isnt the best so it would probabily run at 6fps ;).

Other than all that you just need to realize that the BGE is still growing up and developing. Its not at the standard of a lot of game engines these days, but it is certainly capable of some impressive games when in the right hands.
Is that not my point? We’ve got CD slagging everything off and talking like BGE is the hoyl grail, when its far from it.

It’s like telling an average /beginner user to download a bleeding edge version of linux. instead of the many stable, user friendly linux distros out there, or the idiot friendly mac /pc :wink:

i ran Yo Frankie’s demo on my macbook, and it does run like crap…
but i think there is a fundamental concept about computer science that you fail to see here.

if you use toys to make games, they won’t run as fast as a well optimized, built-from-the-ground up game.

Doom was amazing for its time and it didn’t require computers from the future to run. That’s because it was written in a low level language (C) and they even used assembly for loops that run ~1000 times per second… This is an example of an optimized game. you trade off rapid development for ease of use and optimization…

However, a small scene with just textures is running at 5fps

There’s also per-pixel lighting, not-so-low poly objects, a softbody curtain (SOFTBODY), and shadows.

It’s the softbody curtain and other physics that may be the reason it’s running slow to you if you say your computer isn’t good. Counterstrike doesn’t have physically accurate softbodies.

“Yo frankie” yes it looks nice. It’s still low end gaming in my books im afraid though. Even if it was the most realistic looking (graphics) game in the world - if it runs slow, upon other things, then its low end.

A lot of people would like to disagree with you on that, you may be just biased just because it’s made in Blender.

I’d Have to disgree to that comment. I understand what you’ve said, but I can’t mention every bit of detail on this subject, neither do I perticularily like posting 80 page essays when people will only read a couple of lines ;).

I’m learning Verilog /electronics at the moment to build a Hardware based 3D renderer to see what can be done. I’d like to think I understand a little bit on computer science. Add the fact HDL (verilog) is more complex than assembly language, then ontop of that you can build your own assembly language within it…

if you use toys to make games, they won’t run as fast as a well optimized, built-from-the-ground up game.
Using a third party engine instead of an optimised custome engine will (should) result in loss of performance, or limit the product in certain ways. That goes without saying.

However, that does not mean it should be running at 5FPS. It should be possible to create a mid to high-end game sucessfully using an ‘engine’ made for the masses. If I’m not mistaken, the game Stalker was it? used half life’s engine.

This is an example of an optimized game. you trade off rapid development for ease of use and optimization…
Only to a certain point. You expect a game engine to be a bit beyond retarded otherwise, where’s the point in it?

There’s also per-pixel lighting, not-so-low poly objects, a softbody curtain (SOFTBODY), and shadows.
I don’t even know what you’re refering to here.

Endi’s demo isnt the one with the softbody curtain. He’s also the one that said it runs at 5fps. the curtain one runs at 60fps.

And wow. Shadows. omg, shadows. such a recent development eh? what will they think of next, reflections? meh.

A lot of people would like to disagree with you on that, you may be just biased just because it’s made in Blende
Actually, it’s usally the otherway around, it’s FanGirls, not HateGirls… And as i look at it, the game engine is totally independant to blender. Why they have to name it something gay like BGE is beyond me. Hope it doesn’t fail or get abandond cause it’ll make blender look like twats again.

Now really CD, say what you like it isn’t going to get you anywhere. I’m simply telling the original poster about “making games” and not boasting around saying blender is the all in one holy grail to everything, even making popcorn.

So stfu, wait in your corner and hopfully the next hurricane will take you away.

Hope it doesn’t fail or get abandond cause it’ll make blender look like twats again

That makes you sound like a plant from Autodesk, why not get 3DS Max and stay with the Autodesk community and never touch Blender again if you think that way.:eek:

That said, just switch to Autodesk so we don’t have to hear your constant dissing of Blender as well as its BGE, you apparently almost think Blender is the little app. that can’t do anything of good quality, I have made two full GLSL powered games that run at pretty decent speeds (way more than 5 FPS)

CD, intelligent criticism is far more useful than ignorant sycophantic fanboyism.
Take it from someone who ditched 3ds for blender… while I don’t necessarily agree with everything he says, but lukus makes some good points.