Creating Grunge Textures

Thumbnail

EDIT: Heres a video showing the nodes from this thread in action.

I’m working on making procedural grunge textures to help speed up future projects. These are what I have so far.

10 Likes

Here’s another one.

5 Likes

I’ve started to turn them into masks now.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Awesome stuff.

Really Nice. I suppose it’s cycle. Because of evee limitations on certain specific inputs like bevel …

It’s eevee to because I baked the curvature map and ao map. My plan is to use it on models that have baked textures from a high poly so things like pointiness not working in eevee shouldn’t really effect this.

1 Like

Really cool! Do you mind sharing them?

I’ll probably put them I’m up somewhere when I’m done. I also shot some images textures today and processed them to be tileable.

6 Likes

I started diving a little deeper and made effect nodes which reads the previous pbr textures and adds effects on top of them. Here’s an example:
Starting with base material

Grunge Effect

Scratch Effect

Smudge Effect

4 Likes

So far I’ve got 11 grunges, 6 scratches, 2 smudges, and 5 dot texture effects which use the previous system.

2 Likes

Here’s an example of the effects on my procedural wood shader.
Before:

After:

2 Likes

Fantastic work man.

1 Like

Hey Daffy, good job!
Looking forward to see more of your materials…

1 Like

That’s awesome!! Love it.

1 Like

I’ve got 35 effects now. I’ll have to go shoot some more image textures today before I can continue though. For now I’ll work on some more procedurals.

2 Likes

I created a node group to easily convert a curvature or pointiness input into and edge mask.
Here’s the equation.

It will always keep mid grey at .5 unless the c value is changed.

2 Likes

Its useful to quickly change the input of an edge wear mask to see what kind of different result are possible.

2 Likes

I’ve finished another mask.

3 Likes

I put the textures in this thread to good use today. Really helped to speed up the texturing process within blender. I created this Glock using the nodes in this thread.

I started with a base material.
Not really that complicated its mostly just plugging in the baked maps and then set values for color/roughness. Then I ran it through 3 of my effects nodes from this thread.

2 Likes