Creating mortar with just a checker texture?

Hello o/
How can I smooth out / create a mortar when facing this situation
Ch_T_001
I know that, most likely the best thing would be to use a brick texture but I wanted to remind myself of how to do things, since i know i will have to face this issue along the way.

Long story short: you can’t.

You can get close with mixing 4 checker textures:

but the mortar only appears half way across, and there’s no way to fix this
Using .6 instead of .5 gives you one tile exactly with good results, but breaks the pattern overall:

Sorry but longer story long: with generated coordinates this is very hard because you can overlap checker edges but every time the checker corners f…k everything up (there is also the problem with the negative sides):

But using UVs is a makeable (i didn’t made a new group for simple node spahetti):

(:thinking: maybe this also would work with generated… nah play for yourself.)

3 Likes

Thank you for the tip and the reply :wave:

1 Like

Is it possible to convert color like from checker texture to vector? I mean i saw few people using vectors and then a math node that used Smooth Minimum and they got bricks to smooth out the gradient at the edge.
Thanks for the two setups :wave: , I will try it out in few minutes.

by the way how can i do a seamless texture? this doesn’t seem like it will tile properly, hard to say with my lame eye o__o

You can control the checker by a vector but what you say doesn’t make any sence to me. Or you have to elaborate this ait more. (Or ref some of those tricks).

Seamless means: repeatable and fits to the coordinates wether generated or UV… so make it fit. You may have to control the scale…

Hi there,
Really great answers so far. Just to add my thought, the approach should depent on what you want, but for tiling mortar, the best would be vector tiling. You can create mortar miximg X and Y coordinates and control the falloff.
The brick texture is a simpler solution, but not that much flexibility.
Checker is not really for that. Actually, I’m not sure in what case it would be the best approach :smile:
What is your plan by the way? Or was it a general question? :blush:

1 Like

Hmm yes checker doesn’t have something like aspect ratio for the different rectangles… but then this has to be for x y and z… But anyway there is Brick Texture with Offset 1.0 and Brick Width 0.25… or OSL scripts or making it up with more math… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Seems like I’m failing a bit.
failing to do a cutoff (mix) of mortar, were the mortar (colourramp) is used as to disable that part, so i could create normal map for the tiles bevel.
o___o

Floor_T-00_01.blend (894.4 KB)

Umm, the problem with brick texture, is that is leaves not much room for tweaking like this. So, if you want to round the tile corners, or donoverlapping mortar, like sloppy craftmanship :grin: now then you need vector and math nodes. There are multiple ways I think, but may have a nodegroup for that I found long time ago and amended.
Give me some time, and I will look for it. In the meantime, please tell me exactly how you imagine tile shapes and mortar :blush:
Cheers!

Maybe this
custom_mortar.blend (97.9 KB)

Hi there,

Long months ago, I found a post… somewhere about round corner tiles. I could not find the post now, but big thanks to the guy from here! :slight_smile: I built upon it with a lot of extra.

I hope I can do a tutorial video on this later :slight_smile:

Coordinate type you can change but it works as is.

TEXTURE BASE: simple tiling base

ROUND TILES: The rotated gradients ensure the tile corner is round. Nothing to tweak there really.

POST CONTROL MORTAR SIZE: the value controls the tile size, keeping the roundness

CONTROL ROUNDNESS: the Power math controls how round it is. Multiply is not much needed, RGB curves, colour burn/dodge provides further control points for shape and displacement, you may need to invert end result for masking.

MORTAR BASE: simple brick, matching the overall Scale of the coordinate system, the Noise you can tweak to ensure the amount of mortar, along with the mortar size.

You can make the mortar “spill over” this way, and you can use Brick Fac as mask for mortar texturing.

Using brick colour, you can set randomness for patterns, tile rotation even, if you plug it into the first mapping node with some vector math nodes, and texturing, like you would use a white noise.

I leave the rest for your imagination :slight_smile:

round tiles.blend (957.8 KB)

1 Like