creating outlines

Not sure if this is in the right section, but I need a little help with creating edges around a mesh to make it look more animated. I know that there is a little check box for edge and you can change the threshold and everything, but I’d like to know how to get a similar effect to the character meshs in border lands. A few examples, http://www.borderlandscentral.com/photopost/data/504/11s03mg.jpg

The wrinkles and edges are outlined like they would be if it was a drawing. When I use the edge check box in post-processing the edges don’t go around those sort of things. I played with some toon shading as well, but I’m not sure if that;s the right way to go with this and it didn’t work very well when I tried putting edges in the texture images either. I’m thinking that it might be done with some sort of bump map, but I’m not sure and I have little to no experience with the compositor (I didn’t even knew it existed until a few days ago).

Any help is very appreciated :3 and sorry if I didn’t make any sense.

If you want to do it in nodes you can put the z-buffer through a sobel filter. This will create a white outline on black - which can then be subtracted from original image. There are other ways of doing this.