Creating runtimes on the Mac?

(PlantPerson) #1

Hello everyone!
I wanted to release a Mac version of Into the Titan, but so far it hasn’t worked. The sysadmin here at the art department kindly gave me root access to the Macs and I installed Blender by copying its files into a folder called “Blender” in the Applications directory. This includes the blenderplayer. However, whenever I click the “Make Runtime” option I get the error “Unable to make runtime: unable to find runtime.” I’ve tried putting the blenderplayer into the root directory and into /usr/bin, no go. This is the Intel build on a young iMac, I’ve tried both 2.44 and 2.45.
Any ideas?

0 Likes

(Mico27) #2

was it save dynamic runtime or just save runtime?

0 Likes

(blendenzo) #3

Hey Plant,

The report from all Intel Mac users is that the BlenderPlayer is broken in the Intel Mac build of 2.44. You’re probably experiencing the same problem, and your report is mildly discouraging, because it means that the problem still exists in 2.45.

The PowerPC build of Blender runs fine on Intel Macs, though I hear it has a slower framerate than the Intel build. I recommend that you install the PowerPC version and build your .app with that.

Alternately, you could simply replace the Intel BlenderPlayer .app with the PowerPC BlenderPlayer .app from the zip package. Then you would still have the Intel build intact for rendering and animation, and games played in Blender would still benefit from the higher framerate.

Hope that helps. :smiley:

0 Likes

(skullbunny) #4

I tried creating a runtime of your game, but it crashes too much to be playable. I’m on a new Intel MacPro, running 2.44. It runs well in Blender, albeit with no sound. I’d say ignore the Mac side of things if you can’t test it properly, and just make the blend available so we can at least see some of the game.

Chris

0 Likes

(PlantPerson) #5

Okay, thanks guys…that should be fixed.

skullbunny, any idea why it crashes so much?

0 Likes

(skullbunny) #6

Here’s some of the crash notes from the console. Not sure specifically what the problem is, but it seems to relate to changing scenes.

warning: scene Cursor does not exist, not removed!
warning: scene Tutorial does not exist, not removed!
warning: scene Loading already exists, not added!
PYTHON SCRIPT ERROR:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "loadisland", line 12, in ?
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '1island.zrk'

warning: scene Cursor does not exist, not removed!
warning: scene Tutorial does not exist, not removed!
PYTHON SCRIPT ERROR:
  File "loader", line 66, in ?
NameError: name 'slot' is not defined
PYTHON SCRIPT ERROR:
  File "loadisland", line 28, in ?
NameError: name 'savegame' is not defined
0 Likes

(PlantPerson) #7

Hmm… yes, those errors are typical (they relate to the game checking for files which do not exist yet, as they are only created after saves) but on other systems their absence does not cause crashes.

0 Likes