Creative graphics linux OS -Project Genesis

I had an odd idea the day and I was wondering if it was plausable. Could blender run in it’s own os? What I mean is could you make a simple os to boot from a cd or something and run blender? Would the render times be less? Anyway, it would require a complete redesign so it probably won’t happen but it’s an idea worth mentioning, i think.

You can do that…

There is software out there that allows you to create your own designed O/S. Using the Linux kernel.

I would assume you could probably make a Linux kernel off of something like ByzantineOS or [email protected] and somehow integrate it with blender.

I don’t know if you would see a performance jump though since most of the smaller distros of linux are made to run off of removable media (floppies, cds ,etc.). So while you could probably avoid some of the background processes, you would have to deal with latency between processor and the disk drives, which may make it something not worth doing.

It would be an interesting experiment though, and if you could a very small distro of Linux installed on a hard-disk I assume that it would probably help some. (Note I am a Windows user speculating with my limited knowledge of Linux and its capabilities and distros).

I think this is a cool idea, but not being a programmer, I wouldnt know how achievable it is. I think it would be great to see just the apps like gimp, blender, cinepaint, dr queue and maybe an nle in a cut down version of linux, with just the most simple gui and needed system control pannel items. This would free up a lot more resources for rendering etc.

It would also be sweet if it were available as a live version or an install version. The reason I would love a live version, is that I know where there are places I could use computers to render, but they have security so that nothing can be installed, and you cant use network rendering etc. Would be sweet to just take in a heap of live cds to boot off, with one slightly different - running a dr queue server.

I think I saw a version of linux called chainsaw or something once that was a bit like this, but they wanted people to pay for it, and if I remember rightly, it didnt have the latest version of everything and wasnt opensource, so you couldnt change it your self.

If anyone does decide to do anything like this, Id be keen to know about it. I just wish I had the knowledge to try get something like this happening, but programming is still on the list of things to learn :slight_smile:

MicWit

same here… school actually. I’ll make it my goal to do something like this when I know enough about programming. It would be great if someone with more knowledge of programming could help out though.

Why don’t you just download Blender and extract it on a key drive, CD, or whatever? You can run it from there. In fact, you can download different versions for different OS’s, they’ll all end up in there own directories anyway. I’m not sure how the Python/OpenGL issues will play out (if they’re installed on the host machine, etc…), but Blender should work. I just tried it on my machine (Linux) and it works perfectly.

Search for something called dynebolic.

It’s an artist’s linux livecd.

You could make a heavily stripped down linux live-cd that uses a lightweight window manager-like twm. Then you could just have Blender launch automatically as soon as twm starts up.

You couldn’t actually make a Blender OS because you would have to write drivers for every kind of possible hardware for it. In fact, probably the smallest you could get linux and still support all the 3d-cards with hardware acceleration (if supported) would probably be around 100megs just because you need to be able to drive any possible hardware. Not to say it isn’t possible to make it smaller if someone manages to get a uclibc system fully functional. Nor is 100megs really that big, just saying it because there are those really lite distros like DSL or Puppy that get smaller by removing some drivers and only using vesa and/or frame-buffer for everything.

I mainly mention the size issue because if it’s small enough, you can load the whole os into memory and then everything is blazing fast.

Actually this is something that I actually do.

I use Gentoo, and have the system tuned to handle floating point calculations. It gives me the best results for Blender, and Gimp. Although some other things suffer in return.

Basically to get around that I have two kernels and two init setups to allow me to go back and forth if things are really bothering me one way or the other.

I will tell you this though. Aside from the fact that I use a 64bit version of Blender on AMD64, there really are not any customizations that you can do that will give you a noticable speed increase. Three or four seconds per minute is not something you are going to notice without having crap loads of ram and rendering for hours. That’s when that little increase really starts to show.

It’s a two way street though. If you know how to tune the machine. You will know how to handle the problems created by doing so.

I like useing blender on slax there smallest os with a desktop 104MB and its
moduler so you can add just about anything to it. Plus it has the latest version of slax, try on usb or loade it to your ram and get fast results depending on the coumputer. go to www.slax.linux-live.org check it out.

as mrmunkily said, try dynebolic, it has Blender, the Gimp, and other assorted audio and video tools, all on a “Live” disk.

Tommy

Yeh, I may have the use of some school computers over a weekend. Thats the main reason I would love a live cd, cause they have security etc on the computers. Im about to check out slax, then when I get a chance dynebolic as well. There were some links on the SLAX site for building your own or something, I may even try check them out (Hopefully wont need too much programming knowlege).

I’ll let you know if I do get something going anyhow.

MicWit.

PS. for this option, I think an nvidia card would be best considering ATI support :<

Why use Linux for everything? It´s ultra-bloated…even with the small Linuxes out there that can fill “only” 50 megabytes or so…

why not use something that´s not C/c+±compiled…

…like menuetos! :slight_smile:

http://www.menuetos.net/029f.PNG

Check it out at:
http://www.menuetos.org

It´s totally programmed in Assembly, and you pretty much can´t get
anything faster than that…you know… C++ and C …compiles INTO
assembly code/Machine-code …which is just an interpeter for the machine´s own language put into words and numbers.

Of course… assembly code is a bit hefty to code in, it requires an
extensive knowledge of computers and the CPU, and you have some
disadvantages such as lack of high-level instructions/commands such
as you have in C++/C to perform advanced mathematical computations.

And then again…of course you could just compile your stuff with the
C/C++ compiler of your choice if you make it communicate with
menuetos via it´s classes/libraries and such. So there´s no real
disadvantage. But you have options to do whatever you want, but
menuetos is not bloated like Linux/Windows/Unix etc…very very
cool stuff, if you´re feeling hardcore…check it out.

edit

Oh…and did I mention how small Menuetos is? It can fit on an old-fashion
floppy disk (1.44 mb!) Yes…that´s less than ONE and a half megabyte
complete with:

• Assembler
  • Terminal
  • Text-editor
  • OS
  • Simple games
  • TCP/IP tools
  • IRC tools
  • Browser
  • Complete GUI such as most of you are used to, (windows surface).
  • much more.

It would be nice if someone ported Blender to Menuetos, then we
could load Blender on ANY PC…in 2-3 seconds excluding the pc´s own
AD-startup messages etc.

So this OS does in fact conform to your wishes on having Blender
and and OS in ONE app.

That seems pretty sweet, but as you said, need a knowlege of programming. The other thing was that it seems it is free to dld, but not under the GNU licence, so is it leagal to change it and recompile? I’d also imagine that driver support would be limited?

MicWit

What’s wrong with knoppix?
http://www.knoppix.org/

About the creation of a 3D OS there are the Croquet project (beta phase now):
http://www.opencroquet.org/

The thought of how much work that would be makes me shudder. (I’m a lazy bastad :smiley: )

use a small (and strip it down further) linux live cd (damn small is a good start) and edit the /etc/X11/Xsession so it loads a small window manager (twm?) and the blender?

K-Rich

Indeed. The DVD version includes Blender, and Wings3d, if you like that sort of thing.

get a look at dreamlinux it is a livecd that can be installed: the Studio version comes with Blender, Wings 3D, openinventor, kino, jahshaka, avidemux, audacity, GIMPshop and inkscape.

It also include a tool called MKDistro, that enable you to build your own distro.

the desktop is XFCE