Critiques Needed

Just finished this render, it’s my first render and i knew its far from good, so i need pro’s advice and suggestions, wanna make this more realistic and good looking. Any thoughts, please let me know~
Have a good day !

Sorry, i forget to upload the render, here it is.

2 Likes

Hey,
It’s looking good allready. So in my opinion you are on the right track. Can you tell me how you have lit the scene?
It seems, that there are no walls surrounding the scene, am I right or did you use big area lights inside the room.

Right now the light is flooding the whole scene and flattens everything out. You can try to imitate real life lighting by either building a closed room and light the scene through the window or blocking the light with planes to give it a direction.

Try to make a “photo” in your scene. This means when the scene is too dark, change the exposure (Color Management) instead of adding fill lights or cranking up the intensity.
Sometimes all the options in 3d Software result in a mess and a lot of cheating. So sometimes it’s easier to limit yourself to the camera settings. You can always balance the light after that.

The materials look a bit rough at the moment. Maybe they should be like this, maybe some reflection could help.

But overall it’s looking pretty decent allready. Hope this advice can help to improve it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the suggestions.
That’s so helpful.
Yes, I cheated by remove all the surrounding wall. And using a HDRI to light the scene.
In this scene there is actually only a window right beside the camera position. But it seems too far from the main focus point of this scene, so the scene cannot be lit well enough (maybe I should increase the intensity ridiculously) and yes, the lighting is flat. I didn’t aware it untill you point it out.
And like you said. Real photo have dark and bright, my scene looks pretty low contrast. May be I should try another ‘look’ in the color Management. I am using filmic with base contrast( or low contrast) . I will try using high or medium contrast first.
Thanks again for sharing your opinions on my work.

Ok, was refering to the Exposure.

Anmerkung%202019-10-17%20184900

It’s ok to remove some walls, but you have to make sure to direct the light like it would behave in a real world… as you can see in this video at 34:04:

1 Like

This video is so informative, thanks for sharing this, did you switch from C4D? I will try this technique. Thank you so much.

1 Like