Cross platforms, user generated paths and exporting...

I’m working on a project, and am (totally) unfamiliar with blender. I have modeled a few things, and so far I like it.

But I have a few questions:

1: How simple is it to make a cross platform application?

2: Is it possible to have a user create paths for objects to follow?
-Explanation: I’d like for a user to be able to specify an arbitrary (relatively low number < 15) number of paths for objects to follow. The object would follow the paths (while going through their own movements) in a viewable animation.

3: Is it possible to have blender export the animations they create into an AVI file?

I searched the boards and couldn’t find anything that really touched on these points. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Coach

You can do #2. with the game engine which is cross platform #1. - no extra work required :slight_smile: I’m not familiar enough with the game game engine to know if it can do #3. automatically/easily but with some python scripting blender can certainly do that as well.

Very! File -> Save Runtime. You can only save for the same platform - i.e. Mac OS X Blender can’t save a Windows .exe file.

EDIT: Hrm, reading back on your post, I’m not sure if you are talking about game engine or non-realtime Blender. The answers below are not relevant to the game engine, sorry…

2: Is it possible to have a user create paths for objects to follow?
-Explanation: I’d like for a user to be able to specify an arbitrary (relatively low number < 15) number of paths for objects to follow. The object would follow the paths (while going through their own movements) in a viewable animation.

Create a path with Add->Path, then look in Object Buttons (F7) -> Constraints -> Add Constraint -> Follow Path (all the settings are in there). A shortcut for this is to select your object and then the path as well, then parent the object to the path. You’ll be asked if you want to follow the path or not.

3: Is it possible to have blender export the animations they create into an AVI file?

In Scene buttons (F10) Select AVI from the image type menu on the right side, set your output file path on the left, then click ‘Anim’ or Render->Render Animation.

Thanks for the input. I have been thinking about using the game engine for this app, and I am glad that it can be cross-platform with little extra work. The big thing is #2. How does one do it in the game engine.

I guess I should clarify too. I want the path to be user-created.

I have thought of a few ways to come up with the paths:
-User draws them free-hand on a “canvas”
-User creats from a template of curves, and can change them

The biggest thing is that they need to be run-time editable…

Any thoughts on how to do it?

Is there a tutorial specifically on the game engine?

-Coach

Still wondering if anyone knows about any tutorials on how to create user editable (or creatable) paths for objects…

Thoughts anyone?

-Coach