Crossover Meshes

(0Classified0) #1

I’m not sure if the terms I used in the above topic, but I’ve been trying to rig my ship to open a cockpit window, and there’s a crossover mesh discrepancy when I move the bone to animate:

Maybe the best thing to do is to just insert extra keyframes to ensure the cockpit window doesn’t collide with the other mesh, but does anyone know of another feature in Blender that could prevent a thing like this? I put this in the modeling thread because I thought there was a certain technique I missed.

Thanks in advance.

(Paul) #2

I would say, your design is not right. When you rig stuff like this, you will have to make sure that it is mechanical correct. A quick fix would be to move the hinge of your canopy to the top of the vehicle.

(0Classified0) #3

That’s a good tip, thanks. Also, If I wanted to have faces that have flipped normals so that in Unity there’s the internal cockpit that’s visible when the door open. Would you recommend duplicating the faces and flipping normals, or something else entirely?

(ajm) #4

I would think that you would just have to calculate all normals outside, unless I am misreading you.

(FinalBarrage) #5

^this has nothing to do with normals i believe.

It seems to me that you’re pretty new to this, and will therefore suggest you dont bother with the animated glass just yet. Focus instead on modelling the ship with the glass closed. Then we can work on adding the lid towards the end.

Its a bit tedious to work on models that have animated features like this so early, and its not a problem to add it later.

Also, i would just like to point out this:

^ Very correct. There is a lot of design that goes into animating mechanical things. Design elements that needs to be taken into account from the very beginning. Its not something you just “add”, like a bone to animate a leg, or an arm.

If you do follow my advice and delay the lid until the end, i’ll personally have a close look at your model and figure out how to execute it properly and guide you through it.

Also i forgot this part. The best thing to do is to model the interior.
Paper thin mesh will always look bad - always. Unless its supposed to be very flat like a leaf, or a flag.

(FinalBarrage) #6

Dont worry too much about where you post your stuff btw :stuck_out_tongue: Worst case scenario - Someone flags it, and we move it. No big deal.

(0Classified0) #7

Thanks a ton guys. You are right when you observe that I’m pretty new to this - to be honest, I’m trying to get an idea of how models would ROUGHLY work from Blender stages into animating in Unity. And I’m the type of guy that just thinks, practice practice practice.

Of course, you do need to practice smart, and I do appreciate the input, because there’s always ways one can practice better. I guess the biggest thing was successfully understanding the whole process from a “doing” perspective, and then realizing where I could do better, if that makes sense.

I definitely appreciate all of your thoughts. Let me know if there’s other specific resources you recommend I check out.

(FinalBarrage) #8

watch this… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flEhb1_OdcY

Practice can in some cases make you worse, because you run the risk of training yourself to learn bad habbits.

You need to be aware of what you’re trying to learn.

(FinalBarrage) #9

Ah okay you hit on that note straight after, sorry i stopped reading when i read “practice practice practice” :stuck_out_tongue:

Its still a good video… So i would still like for you to check it out.

(0Classified0) #10

I definitely will! Thank you again. :blush: