Crya - Ice Queen (Lowpoly)

Hi.

This is my Dominance War III entry and representing the cgtalk forum. I don’t have the team colors so it won’t be possible for me to enter the top 50 but looking at the other entries I’m not sure I will enter even the top 500 :frowning:.

I made the model and normal maps in a new Blender build. Worked like a charm. It feels like I pressed a “magic”-button and it rendered a good normal map. The other texture are made in photoshop.

I went in the wrong direction on this character. Should have gone with a more regular character so I could texture it more.

There are four textures @ 2048x2048 pixels (Diffuse, normal, spec and glow). So it’s huge.

These renders are screenshot from Xnormal. Showing it realtime. It looks much better in realtime.

Feel free to c&c.

Thanks.

FINAL ENTRY:

Winning Pose:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8273/winningposeuc7.jpg

Beauty Shot:
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4333/beautyshotmb3.jpg

Construction Shot:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3705/contruktionov9.jpg

Texture Sheet:
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/2017/texturecakeab6.jpg
Concept Sheet:
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/53/concepton4.jpg

The story:

"She was once a beautiful princess. Naiv and kind. Peace and love was her way.

Not anymore. Now she’s the Queen of Freeze. They say she became the Quenn of Freeze when her lover was killed in a battle between the neghbouring planet GameArtisan and Polycount. No one is sure where she got her great powers. One legend says she when into the wormhole of Eternity to commit suicide. No one ever came out once entered. Except her, carrying the Sword of Dominance. With her new powers she promised to avenge his death. She posseses the ability of freezeing (-0 K). Her body armour is made of diamond magma. Once hardned impossible to break thus capturing her body in a enternal prison. Diamond Magma is found on the hottest star of the lost dimension. She used her freezing ability to extract the magma from the star.

She uses the cold to freeze her enemies and uses the Sword of Dominance to shatter them to pieces. Sword of Dominance has the ability to extend her powers beyond touch. Freezing enemies from a great distance.

She belong for the last 400 years nor the living or the dead.  

Now that the menace from the wormholes are coming is the perfect time for her to revenge. All gathered for an epic battle. 400 years she’s been waiting. Now the waiting is over."

Why is it low poly?

It’s the rules. You can have up to 9000 polys.

Why is it low poly?

Game Engines can’t handle subsurfed overpollied models. This is made for a game art contest, so, it has to be ‘game ready’ and in order for it to be ‘game ready’ it has to have a lower poly count for speed reasons.

-nick

I think it looks cool. :cool:
I always wondered how you people
paint the diffuse maps. I mean how do you keep from getting lost
when all the island are all over the place and at different angles? :spin:

ohhh. any ways your low poly eyes look pretty rad. good luck.

Well if you have a diffuse map like this then you won’t see the seems. In blender you have the multiple UV’s where you can assign the a new UV-layout and render out a new texture on it. Then just use the clone tool in photoshop/gimp to erase the seems. That will make the texture seemless.

Actually you could make the top50 since you have the team logo on the character. You have to have either the logo or the colors but not nessecarly both.
Great work and congratulations that you finished it.

Now all we have to wait for is being able to detail characters as is possible with zbrush.

I wonder, does Bigbad put all that ultra high polygon detail on the sculpted model because it’s needed or because he believes any detail level less then almost per pixel on half the mesh is bad practice?

Well I did a concept before I started on the model. Maybe something you should do once in a while, instead of playing with your ‘cubes’ with interesting lightning.

Well if you have a diffuse map like this then you won’t see the seems. In blender you have the multiple UV’s where you can assign the a new UV-layout and render out a new texture on it. Then just use the clone tool in photoshop/gimp to erase the seems. That will make the texture seemless.

Ok.
I’m talking about painting the colors in a paint program.
How do you know where to paint?
Did you learn from a tutorial or on your own?

I’m curious, and and don’t understand anything more advanced in blender than the sculpt tool :smiley:

But, is that one on the right, the one with the wireframe thing, how did you get so many spikes on that one without the wires? is that your high poly model? I mean, it looks like that to me, but i thought it might be a bumpmap. No idea what that is though :smiley:

CD, he probably just wants detail in it, and wants it to be a good piece. Lots of people add that kind of detail. But that is nicely controlled i think :smiley:

hey, it’ll get higher than top five hundred I’m sure :smiley: All right big guy? You gunna be ok? You wanna popscicle? Here.

EDIT: You got to it before i did :smiley: Anyhoo nice model. For the challenge, does he hafta be playable, or just ready to play? Like is controllable right now? Also, you said team colors and team sumthin else, so did you work on this project with some others?

Well it’s both. You learn from tutorials some stuff and other stuff you learn yourself.

The normal map will show you what part is what and I also used the texture paint a lot in blender to paint on the 3d model.

I import the painted texture from blender and then use it as reference.

But, is that one on the right, the one with the wireframe thing, how did you get so many spikes on that one without the wires? is that your high poly model? I mean, it looks like that to me, but i thought it might be a bumpmap. No idea what that is though :smiley:

It’s the high poly model.

What does the glow map to?

OMG ZING!!!` Bigbad, why not tell the truth. CD he presented numerous drafts as was required (something every artist could benefit from…hint hint) and the community picked this design.

Personally, but I suck, I keep bledner open while painting so I have a good reference where all the different parts have an effect. Sometimes I’ll also throw an unfinished UV on just to insure it looks likei wanted. Usually, though, after doing that I just end up starting over again.

If you have a normal map you can use it as a template to know where to paint your colors (since the program made the edges visible in the normal map)

If you wanted to paint circles with black rims then it’s easier when the normal map has the circles already.

great! good concept, great work! Hope you make more! take care

I’m guessing it’s that ultra cool blue glow in the final images. Mapped to the emit channels, I would presume. In my experience, though, the emit channel only supported grayscale, but it seems you’ve found a way around that? Is this in a recent build?

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the image. That’s some gorgeous sculpting in there, but I think you could use more polygons in the queen herself. You’re below the count anyway. I would also advise bumping up the spec just a tiny bit, but that’s just my personal preference. It’s still a gorgeous game model either way.

For the glow over the background to me it looks like if he did it in nodes somehow he may have set the blurring algorithm to flat blur and not guassian blur.

The images you see are rendered real-time with Xnormal. You just import all the textures and objects and hit ‘preview’. Very nice application.

The specular doesn’t show that well on the screen shots. It’s noticeable when rotating around the character.