Cryptomatte 1.0 released!

This sounds really great! I was secretly hoping for someone to correct me there. :slight_smile: Please forgive me my pessimism.

Cryptomatte Looks so good! :slight_smile:

For the adventurous, here’s the Cryptomatte branch on git.blender.org:
https://git.blender.org/gitweb/gitweb.cgi/blender.git/shortlog/refs/heads/temp_cryptomatte
And a Win64 build:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap47HIkOUUa3hEIloG2LoMJDgVXk

Great! I was waiting for cryptomatte to be included for I think a year and here it is. Blender with cryptomatte. I was able to run the Win64 build, and found cryptomatte settings in the renderlayers tab and a cryptomatte compositing node. I could experiment with it but maybe more effective for me would be to ask how I suppose to use it. Is there a kind of quickstart guide for it available?

Stefan, I did some tests. It looks very, very interesting!
Here some files and comparison between Lukas AOVs and your Cryptomatte implementation:
AOVs - Cryptomatte.zip (1.93 MB)

Apparently Lukas AOVs masks hair a little better, or I have not used Cryptomatte nodes well.
(Edit: Yep, definitely my mistake, I was not using nodes correctly)
In second or third layer in scenes there is a Volume Scatter Cube, but I could not manage to mask volume. Is volume pass still a Blender limitation? Are there plans to support volumetrics passes?

I hope that Lukas and you can continue working on this, both are really useful things.

Thanks!

Edit:
If I use “bear” cryptomatte node only, I get a very similar result to the one I got with Lukas AOVs. So I guess I’m using compositing nodes incorrectly (I’m not good at compositing)

Wow, this looks so exciting. Hope it makes master for 2.8! Wheee!

Great news! I can’t wait for the GPU support to be able to use this. :slight_smile:

GPU support is already there. Not at the same precision as CPU support, but it should work for most cases.

tested a bit and crypto is realy realy cool. but crashes when matte is connected to alpha and picking remove in compositor. But realy great. If it will work without crashes… thanks a lot for doing this crypto thing!!!.

What means asset btw. in crypto? is it everything that is child of something? cool things here… :slight_smile: cheers

looks very promising, however I only was able to use it for the first time, not sure why. Probably doing something wrong :slight_smile:
I just connected 2 object passes to cryptomate node, with image, picked in the image or scene. Worked like a charm.
Then I wanted to test more, did some dof + motion blur, everything seems to render fine, just I can’t get anything from the node (matte is pure black no matter what I do)

It seems in Fusion, manifest is not recognised. It fails on

local sidecar_path = self.cryptomattes[self.selection][METADATA_KEY_MANIF_FILE]

in cryptomatte_utilities.lua. The plugin itself works fine with Psyop test files.

Or maybe third party compositing tools are not supported?

Currently it is not writing or writing a manifest, that is still on the to-do list.

How is this project going? Any news? How is GPU support?

My Cryptomatte branch on git.blender.org should be reasonably stable and usable. Pretty much the same code is being used in production right now at Tangent Animation. GPU support is present using the stochastic method, the CPU path has an option to enable a more precise mode.

The reasons that this isn’t merged into master yet are:

• It’s not as complete as I’d like it to be, there is no support for manifests yet and it would be great to include proper volume support too.
  • GPU support isn’t well-tested (TA is using CPU only)
  • Some code cleanup/review couldn’t hurt. While I’m not aware of any bugs in it, there’s a bit of repeat code in there and some parts are squeezed into places that are convenient to get the job done. Some refactoring could make the code easier to read, understand and maintain.
  • All of the above would need to happen in my spare time, my day job keeps me busy with plenty of other things. As much fun as writing Cycles code is, I’m currently more inclined to spend my spare time with my family and away from computers.
6 Likes

Is this the latest build?

It would be so great to see this in 2.8, is that do-able for you. and if so, have there been talks about including it?

3 Likes

GPU support isn’t well-tested (TA is using CPU only) I could help test GPU scenes if needed. I would love Cryptomatte to be in master for 2.8 so if there is something I can do to help I will

2 Likes

I just did a quick test and I confirm that result is not great with GPU.
Here an .exr that can be opened in Blender showing how matte passes are unusable when rendered by GPU.
Cryptomatte_GPU.exr (409.9 KB)

Apparently there is some movement in the tracker by Stefan and Brecht.
It would be great to have Cryptomatte in Blender 2.8, and even better if they can incorporate support for GPU.

5 Likes

Aaaaand it’s landed!

Compositor: Cryptomatte compositing node.

This patch adds a new matte node that implements the Cryptomatte specification.
It also incluces a custom eye dropper that works outside of a color picker.
Cryptomatte export for the Cycles render engine will be in a separate patch.

Reviewers: brecht

Reviewed By: brecht

Subscribers: brecht

Tags: #compositing

Differential Revision: https://developer.blender.org/D3531

2 Likes