CS engine :(

Hi
i’m too curious , how does the CS look like … when i run it , it shows errors !
i didn’t compile it , it is precompiled , … please would anyone show me how it’s interface would look like ? :o …

is there logic bricks :o , or it all depends on c++ …

i knew that it will work great with blender (will import the character with no problem) , but actually i’m too curious , i struggled before starting this thread , but it seems that i need help here … :o

thanks , why don’t they make an exe for the windows users for us to use it on the fly !! :confused: ?
sorry if this thread isn’t that usefull :spin: …

Attachments

Well maybe you put your enviroment variables in ‘user’ rather than ‘system’… I don’t know but welcome to the small elite who couldn’t get it to work… Oh and logic bricks don’t work no

Well, I have CEL and CRYSTAL environment variables set as user variables and it works.

wait, so people who can’t get it to work are elite? well, at least that makes me feel a little better… I always thought it was because I was too dense to figure it out, not because I’m superior XD

…that, and I’m hopeless at programming, so I wouldn’t really be able to use it if I could get it to work -.-

the engine is just telling you there is no “map”, so there is nothing to show. (It probably isn’t supposed to have any) I don’t have the exact url but If you look in the svn browser there may be the castle map zip.

is there logic bricks :o , or it all depends on c++ …

As I said in the last CS post you made, you can use python or C.(at least I think it was your post, I get confused sometimes)

why don’t they make an exe for the windows users for us to use it on the fly !! :confused: ?

If I am not mistaken all the developers use linux.
The CEL start comes with an .EXE file like you describe.
Blender and the blender2crystal plugin are the interface… the game engine itself only offers a console (text based interface like unreal or quake games).

Your error is basically a “file not found” error…I would be willing wager that you got the environment variables pointing to the wrong folders.

CEL variable should point to something like “C:\Crystalspace\pycelstart7.8\cel”
and the CRYSTAL one should point to to “C:\Crystalspace\pycelstart7.8\cs”

it is case sensitive too, so if you type “Crystal cRYSTAL cRyStAl or crystal” for the environment variable name it will not work either.

After the Apricot version of CS is released, I will make some simple tutorials on the usage , and installation . I will also attempt to get a nulsoft or vice installer working with the blender plugin, so it is a simple install.

dont give up, it gets much easier after you get it all installed and working… just like using the blender game engine in a lot of ways. hit a hotkey, and a few seconds later you are walking around in the world you created, complete with shadow/light mapping.

(Sorry, I know this is a little off-topic)

Mmph!:
You seem to have a fair amount of knowledge about Crystal Space, which is why I would like to direct the following question to you before I even look into the Blender CS plugin. Will Crystal Space accept the programming that I have already done using the GameLogic module and somehow apply the same functionality in the Crystal Space engine or would I have to re-program everything using a different API?

the crystal space , and blender modules are completely different.

The cs ones are much more powerful, and allow you to access virtually every aspect of the game engine, where the BGE only allows you some simple scripting solutions.

as for you being able to just take the BGE python code and apply it to CS… no that will not work…
all the python commands/logic are the same, but the module names are very different.

I bet if you toyed with it every night for a month, you would be a CS elite python programmer.

It would be well worth your time to learn it, CS is a great engine to play with :slight_smile:

here is some info to get you started:
http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/PyCrystal

(Comment edited… I wont give up)

Thanks for the info = )

forget about that crystal space , BGE is the best , and it will be improved a day :slight_smile:

I’d love to see the BGE getting better (and stable!) but I think it might never happen…:frowning:

The BGE is already good… thats why we use it… it could be better but theres still nothing like it anywhere else… even so we need a strategy for attracting more programmers… maybe we should all take on the avatars of attractive women to attract the lonely male programmers… need another strategy for the female programmers but its a start…

you are right 3d about cs it don’t seems really interesting but did you wanted to switch to cs or you were just playing around ? If you want to change engine maybe you should look at python ogre which is really good and has better performance than blender. I just try it and it seems interesting. I pretty sure I’ll still in blender but we really need some improvement and fixes.

you are right 3d about cs it don’t seems really interesting but did you wanted to switch to cs or you were just playing around ?

nop , i didn’t want to switch to cs :slight_smile: , i will use BGE forever , very easy , model uvw rig animate program … etc in the same window , and fast debuging :slight_smile: … just press P :slight_smile:

i’m learning c++ to improve blender in the future :slight_smile: , great engine :slight_smile:

For those who want more programmers for the BGE - you could learn it yourself :slight_smile: Aligorith had very little programming knowledge and experience when he started working on the animation tools side of Blender, and now he is one of the more prolific coders.

Just set your mind to it and you too can become a BGE programmer, and not depend on others to advance it, fix it, etc.

LetterRip

I think the engine has enough bugs in it without me adding more

nop , i didn’t want to switch to cs :slight_smile: , i will use BGE forever , very easy , model uvw rig animate program … etc in the same window , and fast debuging :slight_smile: … just press P :slight_smile:

I had a feeling this was an other thread to slam CS. Seems like lots of people are doing it now… Just play like it is too hard to install to scare off new people.
What a stupid tactic. You guys should be ashamed of your selfs!

Oh well… after Apricot we will have some real nice tutorials, and hopefully an installer for CS so hate threads like this will be much harder to start.

I really dont understand why it has to be Blender game engine VS CS all the time… We get both of them for free, and we can use them both together. But for some reason, a few confused people think that if there is a better game engine in existence, it will kill all the other game engines.

Lock please. before this thread goes down in flames…It is obvious it is just an other trick to flame CS… TIA :slight_smile:

sorry , but CS is good , i was just in enthusiasm , again sorry , … :frowning:
we apreciate bothe BGE and CS , and we don’t mean so … :frowning:
and saying bge is good isn’t offensive for CS …

it’s only to encourage BGE users , really no offense … :frowning: … I hope this thread isn’t a gap between us Mmph! , i was just trying to see that BGE is good , not CS isn’t good , do you understand my point now ?

I think you’re seriously misinterpreting 3DGURU’s comment and the intent of this thread. He did not “slam” CS. He simply said that he will continue using the BGE. Thats it. Please don’t turn this into a flame fest.

Nobody in this thread said that. You’re blowing this way out of proportion.

Its obvious you want this thread to be locked. Nobody here has said anything insulting to anyone else except for you.

right VenomSeven , we were talking normally , CS is good … who slamed it ???
and i don’t see any reason for turning the thread into a battleground .