Cs (aircrafts, intro area)

have you ever seen a building kit? (trim kit) / Atlas?

if you work off 1 material for all your buildings, in upbge you can batch the draw calls for all objects using that material in your level.

I use 1 material for my buildings and 1 material for my world tiles
I am not even batching yet, and it’s quite fast.
here is my own terrain that is splat mapped - and editible in game in bge.

upbge is very strong most people just don’t know it.

I don’t know what you are talking about with building kit, I haven’t looked at the bge since some years and just heard of upbge, I also haven’t used unity since some time, because I want to update my scenery a lot before going back.

About batch I don’t use much texture and material as you can see, my robot use the same texture as their building for example, but I think I need to set up a lod system before everything else.

I don’t know if you can really see how many object I have in my .blend with the screenshots I provided, I could do some more capture for you to have a better view of my sceneries.

Hello, I wanted to do a quick prototype in the bge but I have one issue (blender 2.79b).
Everything seem to work fine except that I can’t blend actions. (see edit)

For now I have four types of action listed as =
diagonal = layer 0, display additionnal basic left or right move or none, without constraint.
normal = layer 1 , display basic forward or backward move or stop, without constraint.
dianim = layer 2, display additionnal special left or right move or none, with constraint.
anim= layer 2, display special forward or backward move or stop, with constraint.

I wanted to use action layers and their layerweight to control all the blending with properties.
First, blend actions “motion +z” or “motion -z” with action “motion -x” or “motion +x”, which would create the appropriate diagonale action on the fly, “motion +z-x”, “motion +z+x”, “motion -z-x”, “motion -z+x”.
Second, blend actions “anim” (basic and diagonal) with actions “normal” (basic and diagonal), because some of actions “anim” need a custom blend to actions “normal”, long, short or constant at less than full weight, and a constant can’t depend on the timer parameter blendin of the action actuator or playaction (can it ?).

I tried multiple action actuators but I need the play mode “property” and,
maybe I should retry but I don’t think it worked when I tried some days ago.

So now I use the python playaction() function where I can set frame with property,
but its layers don’t work to play with their layerweight.

EDIT : as promised, I retried the action actuator, its layers work and I think the play mode “property” too.
I managed to show the “diagonal” animation when I hold left or right,
the “normal” animation blend well when I press up or down on top of it,
but when I release left or right while still holding up or down the blending stop straight,
smooth the change in layerweight will fix it maybe ?
I managed to show the “anim” animation but not the “dianim” animation, issue with layerweight probable here too.

EDIT2: Alright, something wrong again, I tried to set the “normal” animation to layer 0 but everytime I release left or right the “diagonal” animation on layer 1 still show whatever its layerweight is, and I don’t wan’t it to stop playing but to fad with the normal animation.

I know I did it on an old version with the arms for aiming, with action actuators if I remember correctly. I don’t know if it’s me or a new bug this time but I won’t bother more alone to find a solution when it isn’t broken elsewhere.

Sorry if some of you wanted to see a little gif or video, but I won’t do a game without good animation blending.
So I reinstailled unity and need to see how messed up my code is here, and will probably just going to continue modeling my areas and robots.

1 Like

layers is not priority both of them are not the blend option either.
0 is highest - 10 is lowest priority

put them on different layers and priorities, and set the blend method to like 3 frames or so (so it blend those 2 animations over 3 frames (or set higher/lower to your liking))

I know what layer, priority and blend are. The animations are already on differents layers as explained earlier, I wouldn’t have tried to set up their layerweight otherwise.

Prority do nothing and blend only blend two animations in the same layer, I don’t care about blend in or out in one layer, I want a custom blend between layer which could be constant.

Hello, after tweaking some animations again, I thought about the shape of my ground areas.

I moved my mine area at the top end of the road instead of behind the power plant.
The purification area have been expanded and its all-in-one building divided into several.

I plan to change the central area for an heliport and I’m still undecided about the bottom road.

Old :

New :

hello, some updates of my ground areas.

Purification area, fixing buildings placement, roads and fences:

Central area, replacement of the gantry area by a heliport area:

2 Likes

is this the same game than in 2010 ?

Hello, Yes it is the same game.

Long ago I didn’t have much in term of story and areas, it was improvisation that was going kind of nowhere.

But then I remembered an old 2d map in side view I had hand drawn even longer ago, seeing it make me instantly remember the story behind it and I thought it fitted really well in my overall background story with minimal change, and here I am modeling my area now.

Gameplay is still the same as before, rendering changed a little with texture but it was planned since the begining, I still plan a no texture toon rendering too, how I will use the two rendering is set but I still need to refine the details.

Hello blender artists, long time no see again.

This time my last update involve moving the purification area underground.
adding a pool area, reworking the heliport and mine areas, to finally space out the areas on ground.

Hello, here is a recap of my latest updates :

• sub-area “heliport” relocated in the center,
  • new sub-area “telecom” located on the previous location of the sub-area “heliport”,
  • “stencil” configuration for mixing natural materials,
  • revision of the dunes for a gobal “displacement” instead of a mosaic and a more mountainous aspect.
2 Likes

it reminds me the project of @Fred_K.S

1 Like

Hello, I looked at the projets of @Fred_K.S, found a racing game and an aircraft one, I have an aircraft for my character to land on the mission area but I dont plan of usnig it more, so I’m not sure what common thing you saw ?

About updates, I fixed the jonctions between deserts area and others areas, did three level of detail meshs for the near desert areas but need to do the lod for the far desert areas. I need to redo the old underground areas I already have in relation to my update of the ground but I’m still in reflexion about how.

1 Like

Good evening, here is an update on my latest updates:

I started to divide my project into several .blend,
continued programming my character,
added two levels of detail per desert material using overlay texture mode and their scale,
added three lod levels to my desert subareas surrounding the main play area.

I tried to run the bge in full glsl mode but my “node” material which mixes all my desert materials doesn’t work and just shows me the stencil texture, the other non-node materials work fine and all the materials work perfectly in the editor in “bge glsl” or “blender render” display mode.

1 Like

do you want to make maps for my game ? :heartbeat:

Excellent level design, congrats for your work!

Those are exceptional skills :sunglasses: :+1:

Fred/K.S

Thank you @blenderaptor and @Fred_K.S, I’m not sure I could be able to do maps for others since I already struggle on mine, I have to go create most of the undergrounds but I am still on the ground trying to improve and optimise things.

I finally managed a node material to mix my five desert textures which work in the bge, my previous issue was that the bge only take one uv map per objet. I didn’t want to have stencil textures for each sub areas, so I looked around vertex color and found out that the bge also only take one vertex color group per object.

So I created one vertex group where I use black, blue, green, red, white, then I separated the rgb into canals (where the blue is the second texture and the black erase it to show the first texture), and finally for the white I transformed the rgb into black and white, then used an rgb curve starting at 0.5 instead of 0 for it to not influence much more than the previous texture.

I tried to launch the blender game engine on this desert areas and it take too long to load, I tried to reduce my poly count and found some way to do it mostly on the fences, then lamps and landing places, but it still go up to 258 086 triangle (410 819 before).
I’m around 125fps in glsl but have nothing else on this .blend, I don’t have the dunes, robots, player character and others interactive objets.

i saw your videos on youtube :+1:, what about the third view control, any update since ?

Hello, my youtube videos show some really old versions, the gameplay is still similar but the playing area have been totally changed when I thought more about what part of my story I should do.

About the third view control , do you mean the cameras placed in the areas instead the first and third person camera which follow the character ?
If that’s the case, this kind of camera is a little area dependant and I didn’t do it yet for my new area, I also still need to find how to do some motion for some of these cameras, like for example when a camera follow the character while moving along a fixed path.

About updates, I reduced my polycount for most of my area and I am now at the end of it where I fix the unwrap of my biggest building, and with that done I was able to expand the clipping farer but this could change when I will add all the interactive objects.

I have setup a day/night cycle and used some time to test shadow, but I have an issue with it because whatever I choose as setting, my transparents texture don’t cast only its opaque as shadow. I managed to do it years ago but can’t manage to make it workd now.

so did you made any progress that can be shown in a video ?