Ctrl+G

Can someone please explain the function that Ctrl+G fills in Blender 2.8?
When I am using it, it creates a collection i cannot get to (not visible on the outliner)
so what is the point?

many thanks…

1 Like

This question has been asked before…but no one could give a reasonable explanation before the thread went off on a tangent. :man_facepalming:

Oh, the mysteries of life…

1 Like

thanks, sorry for the dupli

No, no…it wasn’t my intention to discourage you! Your perfectly legimate question isn’t a dupe because no one answered it in the other thread.

I’m hoping your new post will finally get an answer to this CTRL-G mystery.

Ctrl G was used in 2.79 to create groups.
Groups were used by several tools (modifiers, simulations) as an assembly of objects.
But they were not used as layers for rendering or scene hierarchy in outliner. Layers could not be named and their amount was limited to 20.

In 2.8, use of groups and layers were merged into collections concept.
Contrary to old layers, amount of collections is unlimited, they can be named and used like groups were used.
So, Ctrl G is just a manner to create a collection, that does not have as purpose to participate to View Layer rendering ; but would be used as a rigid body world in a simulation or things like that.
So,Ctrl G, Ctrl Alt G, etc… are shortcuts inherited from 2.7x groups management.

Collections created like that are only visible into Blend File view of outliner.
If it annoys you, don’t use these shortcuts and get stuck to M. You can use a collection used by View Layer for physics, too.

1 Like

Yeah it is wierd. By the way if you are coming from another software and looking for Group/ungroup concept then it doesn’t exist in Blender (except for addons). If yo want to go around it stick to —>

Object mode --> CTRL + J (Group)
Edit mode —> select all and press P and loose parts (Ungroup)

That’s not grouping, like, at all.

2 Likes

No it is not, that is why I did add (“If you want to go around it”). Show me another workaround that is close standard grouping like in another software (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy6h8DAiVFg)
and I’ll happily embrace it.

Yeah, sorry but, no, please. That’s NOT grouping. At all. It’s merging. After a CTRL+J it will be the same object, same modifiers, etc…
Even worse, the press P and loose parts is all but ungrouping, it will separate the object in different objects for ALL single meshes in the object, in can result in a nightmare of compute on some big objects, etc…

See you :slight_smile: ++
Tricotou

Maybe you are looking for parenting ?

See you :slight_smile: ++
Tricotou

Parenting objects to an empty is a better workaround.
It was the way to go before groups were added to Blender.

But in 2.8, collections are replacing groups. You can create collections with M shortcut and use Collection Instances.
@four_two, just asked for an explanation, not for a workaround.

2 Likes

Yes I am aware of parenting but necessity of creating empty makes it less convenient and also in case you create 10 times more boxes and parrent them to empty, you still have to click on that empty to manipulate whole “group”. Also clicking empy doesn’t select all objects, so you can’t modify them at once, also applying modifier to other objects must be done via CLTR+L etc. Unfortunately no, this doesn’t come close to grouping like other software can do.

I shouldn’t have put that “GROUP” word in brackets in a first place, would be less confusing.

Only real substitution I know of is addon called Grouppro(or something like that) but that is a paid one.

I think i agree that more likely that a new user will search for the group/ungroup way of grouping object rather than putting them in a collection, this is a problem as you would not see the group created in the outliner and you will assume that something is broken (adding to that the message you get when pressing ctrl+g ‘create new collection’, is just a mix of things!).

keeping this in 2.8 is very confusing and unnecessary.

that is not the issue, the Q is WHY we need ctrl+g :frowning:

At early states of 2.8, collections workflow was not obvious because it was supposed to work with an overrides system more ambitious than just dealing with proxies.
It took time before we ended up with collections exposed as is in outliner.

First idea was to link a collection to a View Layer after its creation. And View Layer should be the container of collections.
But it was replaced by M key automatically adding new collection to active scene.
And now, container of collections is the scene. View Layer data is just visibility data about collections set.

When you create a collection with Ctrl G, you create a collection unlinked to scene.
But displaying Blend File View in outliner, choosing collection and using right click menu, you can link selected collection to active scene.

If you organize a group of objects for rendering purpose, it does not necessary mean that you will use exact same collections to manage collisions in the scene.
You may have different expectations about what outliner should show.
Ctrl G does not show collection in outliner. And that is exactly its purpose.
Creating collections that you don’t want to show up in Outliner.

You are right. That is not explicit into name of operator. It should be renamed “create an unlinked collection”.

Now, it would be totally useless if we could tag collections and have more filters for them in outliner.

What you suggested is not a workaround. Joining meshes into one object is not grouping, and is not a substitute for grouping. It’s simply bad advice. One should definitely not “stick to” it.

1 Like

I have to agree on this, ctrl+J should only be used in very specific cases, where you’re okay with destroying your objects’ vertex order, modifiers, etc. - it’s a destructive operation. You should instead parent your objects to an empty, which does the exact same thing as in Maya (apart from the fact that the parent inverse matrix isn’t applied, for reasons I find only partially valid, but that’s another question).

What new Blender users really want is a macro tied to CTRL+G that automatically creates an empty at the median point of all selected objects and parents the selected objects to the empty.

The next most important thing is to increase awareness of the Shift+G menu and add options there for “Parent & Siblings” and something like “Parents & Siblings & Children & Nephews” to facilitate deleting an antire group, including the parent in less steps.

Beyond that, perhaps the devs should consider a CONFIGURATION OPTION where all new collections come with a premade empty and if a collection’s first and only child is an empty then clicking on the collection name automatically selects the empty. Beyond that, consider an additional option that lets users have the word “locator” or “null” replace “empty” throughout the UI.

4 Likes