"Ctrl + Z" in Blender is taking forever

For what it’s worth, in the more recent builds, undo is still slower than one would like, but MASSIVELY better than previously, at least for me.

1 Like

Oh ya? I’ll download a new build and see.

Yesterday I imported a 10 million poly mesh from 3ds max. Going into edit and undo was fast. But to move 1 object and undo that. Was 10+ second delay. Which is crazy. Not useable for me. But I’ll try the new build.

1 Like

depends on cpu power
but usually if more then 2 millions verts then it takes a lot of time
to work in edit mode or delete things

try it with 2.8 suppose to be faster
if debugged yet !

happy bl

Yes in latest win 64 build of 2.8. Still slooooooooow to Undo moving an object not in edit. If scene is somewhat heavy anyways.

Not sure how people can make these crazy detailed cars and be able to work without pulling their hair out. Seems like a major bug / higher pri to me. To have that bad of lag for every undo. If anyone tries to come from 3ds max ,like me, and expect to work with similar meshes. It will be a rude awakening and push them away for similar work. It was literally 5–10 second wait for every undo. Where is instant in max.

1 Like

one thing you can do is to turn off the undo in user preferences

happy bl

By “my Ctrl-Z” I assume you mean undo?

Ctrl-Z is just a shortcut.

Sure, someone would remap ctrl+z, ctrl+c, ctrl+v…

@RickyBlender, I’ve been using Blender 2.8 so far, but it’s doesn’t seem to work faster, It is actually even worse.

The undo operation is causing trouble in every scene, I’m not sure if the ngons are the cause for it, but as @JohnMalcolm1970 pointed out, the NGons are definately one of the causes of poor performance in general.

If you create a circle with a ngon of 256 verts and hit ctrl+2 it takes about 30 seconds to copy the object or undo the operation. This is insane.

From now on I won’t work with ngons anymore, then I can tell if that alone solves the problem.

Andrew Price said in his last tutorial on Blender Guru that his was experiencing a lot of problems with freezing, it usually takes about 10 to 20 seconds to get back.

The developers really needs to work with blender performance in general.

2 Likes

One of the central gathering places for this problem seems to be this thread on Right-Click Select, which has links to other big discussion threads: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/6mdbbc/

Long story short, the devs are aware, but it’s not a simple fix, and it might not get fixed until 2.81+. My info might be out of date, though.

3 Likes

Thanks! Looks like it’s at least one of their main things to fix at some point. Hopefully sooner than later. Like many people said, this is my top issue with blender right now. I would consider using it much more so, if Undo was so painfully slow. It’s pretty fast in Edit Mode as others said, but Object mode is insanely slow.

I can’t imagine this getting fixed any time soon (if ever). But I keep “accidentally” pressing ctrl+z by habit and it costs me 5 minutes each time. Is there any way to just turn off undo? It would be very appreciated if I didn’t have to wait hours each week because I have a tendency to press a silly key combo when I could have kept working without needing to undo.

Preferences → System → Memory&Limits → Undo Steps

Did you try the latest 2.92 ? I had similar problems with undo taking a long time, mainly after switching from edit to object mode but it seems to be far better now.
On 2.91, it could take 30 seconds to undo but now it went down to 2 seconds. Of course, I didn’t have undo taking 5 minutes like yours but maybe it fixes your problem or at least improve your experience.