Cube EnvMap Texture?

Hello,

I’m attempting to make a star field skybox using Blender. I’m using this http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Build_a_skybox tutorial.

Anyway, when I render I get a composite image of all six sides of the cube. What I want to do is extract each of those textures so that I have six separate images, one for each side. I tried to do this in Photoshop, but I can’t precisely extract each of the images, that is I usually get just a little more or less of an image using the “selection” tool in Photoshop, which results in a skybox with clear boundaries.

Is there a way to save each of the cube sides to an image file, or an easy way to precisely extract the images from the composite?

Thanks for any feedback.

In the Envmap tab in F6 there is a button to save the Enviroment Map (once rendered once). You can take that to Photoshop and C&P your Skybox textures over it. It helps to have dummy objects in the render (cones, or clusters of cones, are useful) as an aid to orienting each ‘side’ relative to its neighbours.

%<

With Gimp you could set up a grid and snap the selection to the grid. If you do the division you can find the exact size of each section or side in pixels of the environment map image. I am sure you could do something similar in Photoshop. I don’t know of a way to save each side of the map separately.
The script on this page will do six square renders to use in a Quicktime pano or some thing similar. I think it will work for your purpose.
http://www.alienhelpdesk.com/index.php?id=16

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I’m starting to be convinced, however, that the problem I’m having isn’t what I’d originally thought.

I decided to load the whole composite texture into an OpenGL program, with a skybox, and map the texture coordinates to the appropriate sides of the box. Turns out, I can’t get rid of the seams no matter how much I play with the u,v coordinates, so I’m beginning to think that EnvMapping onto a cube in Blender didn’t provide seamless images. They’re close, but they have those little lines, which just look bad. Terragen produces seamless textures for a skybox, so I’m hoping I can do the same with Blender.

So, now I’m wondering if I’m simply doing something wrong with the EnvMap. I just started using Blender within this last week, and am not really sure how to tweek it for better performance. I wonder if either of you, or anyone, would have any ideas here.

I guess I could photoshop the seams in some way, but hope I can avoid that kind of work. :smiley: