Cube waves

Hello! Im looking for a tutorial to simulate cube waves in blender. The referece video is this one:

I have tryied to use the wave and cast but it treats the objects (several cubes) as one object. Id like an effect as the video shown. Simulating each cube rising up to get the “wave pixel effect”. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried using a series of cubes with sine/cosine based scripted expression drivers for the position in your chosen axis based upon the movement of a controlling empty?

I may have time to look at this later or tomorrow, I am really pushed for time just now.

Cheers, Clock.

Thanks @clockmender,

I’m really newbie about expressions and scripting. Although i have some notions about programming (if u have any scripting probably i can handle it).
Maybe I have to learn more about drivers also. Thanks in advance bro!

OK here are a couple of ideas to get you going, you should check “Auto-run Python Scripts” in User Prefs > File Tab or the scripted expressions will not work. Just press play to see the options running - they are on levels 1 and 2, only level 1 is displayed as I have saved it. These should give you some ideas to work on and I will look at some more options later today or tomorrow when I have more time - It’s Mrs. Clockmender’s birthday today, so I am quite busy! :smiley:

wave-cubes.blend (1.38 MB)

Cheers, Clock.

What about driving cubes with procedural textures? (it seems like what they do on the first video) How can that be done?

Also, do you create a field of cubes quickly instead of messing with array modifier ?

I setup the first cube for each pattern, then duplicated it either with its control empty as in the second layer or just on its own. I then moved the constraint/driver for the new cube and repeated the process until I have the first row - then I just duplicate the whole row, on the first layer setup I mirrored the second row, then duplicated the lot twice. Its the easiest and fastest way I have found. This project took me about 45 minutes to build complete as I posted it. the problem with arrays and applying them to get a field is that you then have to setup the drivers for each cube individually.

Cheers, Clock.

Thanks a lot Clock! and happy birthday!! :smiley: :smiley:

You’re welcome and it was my good lady wife’s birthday not mine!

Let me know if you want any other developments.

Cheers, Clock.