Cubecus Level Editor [v0.1.7]

Cubecus is set of tools for level editing and creating architectural forms. It should feel familiar to users of Valve’s Hammer Editor but also to Blender users as it features deep integration (where possible) with Blender’s existing tools/UI.

downloadAtCobertosCom

Currently present in this toolkit:

• Primitive Manipulator (The white selection box)
    • Create primitives of desired size and resolution
    • Manipulate any Blender object
    • Duplication with Shift + Drag
    • Flip horizontal and vertical
    • Snap to custom unit or grid size
    • All actions exist as Blender operators so are mappable to hotkeys and shown as buttons
    • Automatically tries to adjust if you run another operator (scale, translate, any…)

More to be added in the future…

Issues and help are tracked in GitHub.

If you find use in this tool, consider supporting me on Patreon Patreon-Icon_Primary-smol2.

4 Likes

Hey guys, it’s been a while.

The tool has come a long way since 2016 and the base concept is in a very finalized state. I want to continue building from here as much as I can into more tools that fit the workflow I think a lot of people are looking for.

If you have any questions on usage or how it works, let me know. I’d be happy to help!

1 Like

Hi ! Can’t try it. The zip file is 0 bytes.

Woops, should be fixed now! Looks like the AWS redirect wasn’t working…

For those trying to install: Doesn’t work to install addon the downloaded zip right within blender. (it will give an empty _ini.py file)
I needed to extract zip then place the extracted folder into addons folder (appdata roaming).

Nice addon. Thanks

1 Like

This should be fixed now, seemingly I just needed an extra folder inside of the .zip file for when Blender extracts the archive.

Oh nice, it’s a Hammer / Radiant throwback! I haven’t used either of those in a while. I just tested the add-on out, it seems to work well. I did run into this error message when randomly clicking on the flip horizontal and flip vertical buttons:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “blender-2.79b-windows64\2.79\scripts\addons\rld_toolkit\ops\PrimitiveManipulator.py”, line 250, in modal
newBox2D = self.selection.getBox().downsize(self.activeRegionMapping.name.otherAxis()).flip(flipAxis)
File “blender-2.79b-windows64\2.79\scripts\addons\rld_toolkit\utils.py”, line 218, in flip
(self._vs[0][axis], self._vs[1][axis]) = (self._vs[1][axis], self._vs[0][axis])
IndexError: vector[index]: out of range

It looks like something else may have been copied into the .zip file by mistake. The current linked “rld_toolkit-latest.zip” file contains a cubecus folder and a corrupted 1 KB “rld_toolkit.zip” file. The corrupted “rld_toolkit.zip” file doesn’t seem to cause any issues during install, but I would recommend removing it from the “rld_toolkit-latest.zip” file just to be on the safe side.

Also, apologies if you already know this, but there’s similar tools being considered for 2.8. There’s one called “Scale Cage” and another called “Add Cube” (in Edit Mode). There’s experimental versions of both available in the current 2.80 daily builds, but, being experimental, they are very rough around the edges.

GIF demo of the tools included with 2.80

Nope, no idea that existed until now, didn’t realize there were 2.8 builds out to download. Exciting to see such a feature officially supported (though as of now it still seems a little buggy). I try not to duplicate any functionality in my tool so I might end up just figuring out how to integrate this add-on with the new scale cage.

I’ll check out the .zip issue and flipping issue though. Thanks for the reports! Was able to reproduce the flipping bug. Seemingly it only happens when you try to flip with anything in the Z axis.

Both the corrupt zip thing and the flipping bug should be fixed

Great I was just looking for this kind of interaction, can you make a script that does these things?
https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/yccbbc/add-interaction-as-in-2d-vector-programs

Most of these I would say are already implemented in this add-on or inside of core Blender’s functionality enough as is. All functionality except for the box rotation and drag select is implemented. I was happy enough with Blenders box select with ‘B’ that I felt I didn’t need to add one. Similarly, rotation with ‘R’ usually sufficed for any rotations but it should be simple enough to add when I get to it.

My main focus for the future is replicating the UV tools from Hammer for quick texturing. I really need to put together a small roadmap

woooow this is just like photo shop or krita man amazing