CUDA error: Out of memory

Hello mates.

So I’ve been working with Blender for more that a year now but all of a sudden Blender started giving me this error: “CUDA error: Out of memory in cuLaunchKernel(cuPathTrace, xblocks , yblocks, 1, xthreads, ythreads, 1, 0, 0, args, 0)”

Any ideas for what might be causing this?

I’m currently using a:

i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
24 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX780

Hello Richard, I’m not using any experimental Blender build.

You’re running out of video memory…
With the sparse information you provided we can only speculate about the reasons for this.

One of the “classics” is using the experimental render kernel, which is known to need much more video RAM than the supported kernel, hence Richard’s link.

So, tell us, what is in that not rendering .blend file that could eat up your VRAM? Such as:

• Going overboard with Subsurf modifier levels
  • Using Progressive Refine instead of tile rendering
  • Too many particles / particle steps
  • Too many very high res textures

Thank you both for answering. I have 3 different files that are doing this to me, all three I’ve been working on my ASUS ROG G750JS without a single problem. I usually do the renders on the desktop I’ve described on the first post, and when I transfer them to this one they started giving me this error.

One of these files I’ve already done renders on this desktop, without a single alteration, and it is now also giving me this error.

I can’t share the file through since it has 100 mb.

On the same version of Blender?
With every addendum to Cycles’ capabilities the CUDA render kernel grows larger and occupies parts of the VRAM. So, with every new version of Blender, there is less space on your card for the scene itself.

No, indeed it was on 2.74. I’m not using subsurf on one of them; not using progressive refine at all; and also no particles.

I’m going to try and low the quality of the textures to see if it Works. I’ll let you know. Thanks again!

Or you just download the “zip” version of Blender 2.74 for your OS here, unzip it wherever you like, run it and open the offending scene from there. If you’re lucky, the scene renders fine without having to lower the quality.

Afterwards you just save either the 2.74 zip file or the entire unzipped Blender 2.74 folder next to that scene file and thereby have it always ready if you should need to re-render in the future.

@IkariShinji you saved my day and my work schedule! Blender 2.74 works perfect with these files. :smiley: I can’t say thanks enough!

Yeah, I guess I have my moments…:wink:
Good to hear that it worked out!