CUDA: out of memory

sometimes when I render with cycles strands or high poly models it failed to render with the exuse: CUDA: out of memory.
I am working on windows 8 64 bit.
Intel Core i7-4770 CPU
RAM: 8.00GB
GeForce GTX 760 GPU

what can be the problem? I don’t realy think 8GB is not enough memory, or it should fail to render because of this.

8GB is your RAM, you can have as much as you like but will make no difference. The error tells says are running out of memory on your graphics card.
Make your scene less complex or replace with a graphics card with more memory or use cpu rendering or render different components in your scene separately and combine in the compositor

So… you say I need to buy a new GPU?

I said that was one option.

CUDA currently can’t really handle complex scenes, because of these memory constraints. Nor can it handle certain materials that are CPU only. It’s a great tool for previews, material tests and so on. Even if CPU can seemingly take forever, it’s a better option for final renders, especially on complex scenes.

At work I have access to a Quadroplex 7000 system (no, I typically don’t use it for rendering, but I have tried), and despite not having as many CUDA cores as todays gaming cards, it has a helluvalot more memory. And it can still fail complex scenes.

Can i upgrade the GPU memory without buying a new one?
I am not sure I can affort it, and I want to be sure it will help. CPU realy take forever. If I am making a still image it can be an option (take a night for one image…). but not for animation.

No you can’t

I am not sure I can affort it, and I want to be sure it will help. CPU realy take forever. If I am making a still image it can be an option (take a night for one image…). but not for animation.
You will therefore have to design your scene to work within your hardware limitations and your self imposed time constraints. As I said earlier you don’t have to render everything all at once. Use the compositor or sequencer to combine separate renders. Do you need large textures for all your objects in your scene, even those in the background that will only be a few pixels in your render ? Plan up front and you’ll save time later

No, thats because I buy the GTX 760 4 GB.
If your mainboard support it you can buy a cheap card (GT 620) and use it for display, the 760 only for Cycles.
Your system need 300-400 MB for the display, if you have a second card you save it for rendering.

Cheers, mib

seperate the scene to a lot of Render Layers doesn’t seems to help.
How do you mean seperate the scene?

resize the textures is a lot of work. is there an easy way to do this?

Also reduce ploy count. If you are using sub-division surface modifiers turn them all down a level. As far as a lot of work, get used to it. This is what 3D is about. It is not about press a button and presto. If you think resizing textures is hard work then you are in the wrong business.

mib

Any decent image editor should be able to batch convert. Use google to search for one.

seperate the scene to a lot of Render Layers doesn’t seems to help.
You’ll need to think more creatively then

I am not afraid of hard work. It just that the computer can decide automatically what texture the resize. it there any script for blender that doing that?
What do mean more creatively? Do you have any working idea?

Another question: linking textures who isn’t linking to any material will require memory right?