Cumulonimbus Clouds

I’ve been trying to figure out how to create a cloud material like this:

http://www.maltaweather.info/05_cunim_city.jpg

Any tips would be appreciated; I’ve been working with the material nodes, but the results haven’t been pretty.

Tips on achieving this in BI or Cycles are both appreciated, as I’m also somewhat new to Cycles’ material nodes.

And I’ve tried the cloud generator; I’m not looking for the typical wispy, volumetric materials that are on most cloud generations I’ve seen done in Blender and most other programs. Notice how the cloud in the image above is much more solid, and sort of gets darker towards the center of the bumps. I just can’t figure out how to create that kind of material :frowning:

Thanks in advance!

The cloud gets darker in the center because of shadowing. I guess you can short of achieve that with transparency, translucency levels of some material. Have you tried metaballs to make a general shape of a cloud?

Such clouds with particles that reflect a lot and in directions far from perfect mirror or perfect transparent have strong, visible multiple scattering light. It require huge number of calculations. I think you better stay with BI volume smoke material, small absorption (almost light particles), and concentrate on realistic high polygonal mesh cloud boundary (high smoke simulation resolution).