Cursor snapping issue

Hi!

hi! I’m having a bit of trouble with Cursor Snapping… but not the menu, actually dragging the cursor around.

I enable snaping and choose Vertex Snap and Active Target. Whenever I move my cursor near a Vertex the Cursor actually snaps, but not to the Vertex, but rather to a random(?) location. It works with any other target, but I mainly use Active so I’m wondering if I’m making a mistake here or if this is to be expected?

Here’ s a screenshot of where the snapping occurs and where the cursor ends up.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I can confirm the issue, blender-2.81-883706395ee3-linux-glibc217-x86_64, until setting = Active Target and object is active then i get the same results, but as soon i deselect object, snapping works as expected that is case for bug tracker

EDIT 2: 2.80 Release does not work too

1 Like

Same thing on Windows, blender-2.81.0-git.697fd86506fd-windows64 (old build from days ago).

1 Like

Thank you very much for confirming and also for the comment about deselecting and then it works. Didn’t notice that.

Have any of you reported the bug or should I?

I didn’t report it, and I don’t see nothing about 3d cursor snapping in today’s reports, but i didn’t search bug tracker for that issue further than today

I just read the tool tips on active snapping, and this explains that behavior a little. In object mode you can select multiple objects and translate them all at once, but you can only use the active object in that selection for snapping(if you set snap with Active), that works fine for mesh objects. In case you use 3d cursor and select one object, you make that object active and since you selected active object as a target and set snap with Active, this creates logic error

huh… interesting… So it must be a logic error within the calculations. It also happens in edit mode and it seems to be a variable of some sort because it can get ‘stuck’, but if you go back to object mode and sort of ‘reset’ the active object then in edit mode it works fine.

Can you tell me how YOU understand and want to use snap with Active? as far as i get it, if you want to snap 3d cursor to vertex in object mode you should use snap with Closest, because snap with Active requires projected object to be active, and target not to be active

EDIT: and as for edit mode, you can select all elements with no active feature a and alt+a for selection and deselection. but as soon as you click select on any element you set it active and you have the same situation as in object mode, don’t snap 3d cursor with snap with Active, if any of elements is set as active

EDIT2:

it seems to be a variable of some sort

(Edit Mode) Ok now i can reproduce that too, no selection, no active element, but i get the offset

I actually need it to work both in Object Mode and in Edit Mode.

Lets say you have Snapping set to Vertex and the Target to Active. When you’re moving the Cursor around the “Object” you’re trying to Snap is the Cursor itself. Therefore regardless of any active Object in the Scene you should be able to snap the Cursor to any Vertex.

Here’s a short video demonstrating the bug. I want it to work the way it does when the Object is not selected. It seems to be that the offset the Cursor gets when it snaps is directly related to where you start to click-and-drag in reference to the origin of the Object selected (which would be the Active Object).

blender_bug_report_full.mkv (2.3 MB)

EDIT:

Here’s a second video showing the problem both in Object Mode and in Edit Mode: blender_bug_report_complete.mkv (2.8 MB)

it is not Target to Active, it is Snap ONTO target WITH ACTIVE ELEMENT
so your target object cannot be active

1 Like

Ohhhhh I see now. Yes, that absolutely makes sense, I had misunderstood how the snapping actually works.

So the behavior in Object Mode is kind of to be expected since I’m trying to snap the Active element onto a Vertex. But…

The point of snapping the Cursor is to make the Cursor the Element I’m trying to snap to. In that sense it shouldn’t matter whether you choose Closest, Center, Median or Active since the thing you’re trying to snap is the Cursor itself.

Also, the problem in Edit Mode still stands: while no active vertices, edges or faces are selected then it should work fine.

(btw, how do I quote a specific part of your reply? I’m new to writing here in BlenderArtists :slight_smile: )

drag select and click quote :slight_smile:

got it, thank you :slight_smile: <3

Here’s the Bug report. I tried to make it as clear as possible and also as detailed as possible: https://developer.blender.org/T69392

In that scenario 3d cursor is defined by WITH ACTIVE, and cube is defined as target, and TARGET CANNOT BE ACTIVE in that configuration while trying to snap other element onto it

Sorry, I made a mistake here:

I meant to say that the cursor is the element I’m trying to snap and the vertex belonging to the cube is where I want to snap to.

But I believe I understand your point: The object I’m trying to snap TO can’t be the active object.

I tried the same thing in Edit Mode and there it works as I’d expect it to work. I can have any vertices selected or none at all and when I snap the Cursor it just snaps to any vertex I move my mouse close to. Shouldn’t the same apply in Object Mode?

OK, i was not sure if that was phrased that way intentionally or by mistake :slight_smile:

Well, for sure there is some inconsistency, but i think the edit mode snapping is buggy, because sometimes it works one way and sometimes the other way, and in object mode it always offsets 3d cursor, don’t use ortho views because they give illusion of almost working or just snap in ortho (1, 3 or 7) but rotate view after

Yeah, that was my b :wink:

I think both are buggy… We’ll have to wait and see what the devs say about it :slight_smile: The thing in Edit Mode is that you need to deselect anything in Object Mode then go back into Edit Mode and then in works properly.

Will keep this is mind, thank you