Cursor to Selection Bug?

1. add a cube or use the default cube if you have one.
  2. convert the top face of the cube to triangles (ctrl t)
  3. move the top four vertices (the ones containing the triangles) to varying heights.
  4. Select the 3 vertices of one of the triangles and do a cursor to selection (Shift s)
  5. The cursor isn’t where its supposed to be (at the center of the 3 vertices) !!

Could some other people confirm that this happens for them. If so, I will file a bug report.

GreyBeard

If you set the pivot for scale/size to “Median Center”, this will be ok. BUT, I still think it is wierd.
I have met this question before :wink:

if you think it is a bug, please report it to the bugtracker at blender.org

very few coders/developers go here and check all the bugreports that’s is reported…

If you set the pivot for scale/size to “Median Center”, this will be ok

It is set to median center and I still get incorrect results.

if you think it is a bug, please report it to the bugtracker at blender.org

Just wanted to make sure others were experiencing this as well before posting to bug tracker.

GreyBeard

confirmed only when using “bounding box center”. if i use “median point” it works as expected. latest CVS-OSX-blender

confirmed only when using “bounding box center”. if i use “median point” it works as expected

Deleted my startup blend and it now works with Median Pivot – strange. I guess the default file was somehow corrupt. Works as solomax and Oyster described.

Thanks for your replies,
GreyBeard

Ok, I think I get it.
The current method confuses the users: for example, you have 3 vertices with complex coordinate v1, v2, v3, and the pivot is p, then the center of selection is
1/3*( (v1-p) + (v2-p) + (v3-p) )=1/3*(v1+v2+v3) - p
1/3*(v1+v2+v3) is what we call as “centroid”, that is to say the center of selection has something to do with the pivot.
It is not a bug, but please report to the manul writer to mention that :slight_smile:

And please report another real bug (sorry, I donno how to and to whom report the bug :-|):
when Shift-LMB the icon (Tooltip: “Render this window […]”) which is on the right of the header of 3d-view, then press ESC, I get this screen, please note that the messy header:
http://proxy.smth.org/bbscon.php?ftype=0&bid=382&id=449639&ap=215
this occur on 2 PC:
win98+TNT2 model 64+DirectX 9
win2k+sp4+Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX-400+DirectX 9

The snap menu snaps to bounding box center. The bounding box will be axis aligned in object mode and local space aligned in edit mode. That’s probably what’s giving you the weird result.

Martin