Curve extrusion: hose with ridges

I’m trying to make a hose with ridges from an extruded curve. Using a taper object tapers the curve along the full length of the curve. I’ve tried using a taper object that’s a long repeated pattern, but the result when applied as a taper object is that the curve just loses its volume. How would I do this?

You want a bevel object, not a taper object.

Best wishes,
Matthew

I think he wants a bit more control, and means a ridged hose like this one:

I used the same method, but separated the control curves in one for the ridges, and one deformer curve. Pay attention to how you place those deformer curve points, though, otherwise the ridges will be stretched too much or not enough.

download sample blend

I used the same method, but separated the control curves in one for the ridges, and one deformer curve. Pay attention to how you place those deformer curve points, though, otherwise the ridges will be stretched too much or not enough.

Herbert,

Your ridged hose is just what I need for my vacuum cleaner model. I down-loaded your model and tried to duplicate your technique, but when I added the HoseRidges as a curve modifier, I get a “flying saucer” instead of a hose.

Do you have any idea what it is that I’m missing?

Thanks,
tom

You have not applied rotation to the circle.

Thanks, Eppo,

I tried rotating the bezier circle in the Transform window in each of the tree direction and got all sorts of strange images as a result. Unfortunately, none of the looked like a hose. Am I misunderstandign something here?

Tom

Suppose, you created circle flat on XY plane, then rotated so that it’s like a diameter of existing hose…It’s rotated on x likely. Ctrl-A, Rotation was enough for me. If the bumps look negative after you, first, add Bevel, rotate 180 on x and again Ctrl-A, Rotation.
Should do imho.