Curve Shape and Length

Hello. I was wondering if there was a modifier or constraint or even a python script that would allow me to change the shape of a nurbs curve while maintaining its length?

I am not 100% about your question. So I am guessing a bit here. Create a nurbs curve and then in the edit buttons select endpoint u (see attached image). Setting this option makes sure that the nurbs curve always stretches between the the endpoints independent from adding new points or moving around existing points. Hope that could help.

Attachments

hey, doubled… thanks for your reply. that was helpful. i’ve been reading some of the armature tutorials and i think i’ve come up with a close enough solution for what i’m trying to do. check out the attached .blend file. its based on the ‘Bones-on-Curve’ set-up from this page…
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Tutorials/Animation/Armatures/BSoD/The_Bones-on-Curve_Spine
however, i’m not using any armature bones. i’ve just got a curve controlling a mesh whose control hooks control the deform points of another curve. just grab one of the empties in layer 2 and move it around and you’ll see…
but, i still have some questions…
could i skip the mesh part and just have a curve control another curves deform points and still get the same behavior as the current set-up?
also, let’s say i wanted to have some sort of object (like a claw) at the end of the curve and i wanted it to match the rotation and angle? how would i go about that?
thanks for any help…

Attachments

MyCurveTube.blend (158 KB)

Hello mrcairosfriend, thank you for your .blend file and the description. And sorry for the late response; my real life kept me quite busy…

I have tried to construct a file where a curve deforms a curve. Please find attached a .blend file with the result. It seems to behave as the curve in your file; however I am not sure whether this really addresses your first question. For your second question I haven’t got a clue yet.

Attachments

Curve2Curve.blend (135 KB)