Curved surface, straight graphic.....

Hiya. Ok, here’s what I’m looking at:

I’ve made a section of baseboard for a room. No problem. It’s a quarter of a cylinder with a box sticking off each edge to extend things a little. UV maps fine. All is good.

The problem happens when I get to the corner. I’ve taken this same baseboard and applied a spin to it to get a rounded corner piece. This, I can sort of texture, but the UV maps come out warped. I realize it’s trying to take into account the fact that I’m dealing with a rounded shape, but it’s not doing it right. How do you all go about using a set, straight graphic on a curved or otherwise rounded surface?

Thanks!

I do not have an answer for your question. I am thinking though, that baseboards don’t actually curve at the corners of a room, they are cut at 45 degree angles at the corners and butted together.

Randy

They do in this case. :slight_smile: I’m actually making models for a Doom 3 level, so real world architecture doesn’t necessarily apply.

Free-thinking here… is there perhaps another way to approach this problem?

First idea that popped into my head was the “bevel” modifier, applied once or multiple times.

Second idea that popped into my head was a BevOb attached to a curve that is made to follow the intended pathway of the baseboard … the whole thing. Once you’ve got it looking the way you want, convert it to a mesh. It might be necessary to do some hacking at the corners.

… Or, you might rightly decide that no one will actually notice anyway. If they’re playing Doom-3 and mucking around looking at the edges of floorboards, you know that (a) they must be a Blender-head :D, and (b) they’re about to get squashed-flat or split in half by some suitably nasty creature (“nice armature, dude!”) carrying an enormous sword (“ooh, how’d you make that metal texture?”). (Which is why Blender artists should never play video games.)

The problem is that it’s between two other objects where the texture does work right, and the difference is obvious enough to be jarring.

I’ve considered using the warp tool instead, but I couldn’t get that to work right. I’m not actually married to the idea of using spin, it was just the only one I could get to make the right kind of bend. If there’s another tool that will let me make a bend in an object and maintain the right shape and size, I’m there. I’m very much not a Blender expert and could easily have missed a better tool.

A time-honored conundrum. One approach would be to apply your flat, straight graphics as well as possible, then go in and touch them up with Texture Paint in the problem areas. Save the results as a new image file so you don’t overwrite the original in case you want to back up.

I do this a lot when painting human forms (very curvy!) where not only the surface curvature but also seam considerations make flat textures problematic. Works good, but requires a well-thought-out UV unwrap.