Curved surfaces beyond Catmull-Clark and NURBS

I’m wondering if anyone is aware of work being done on the next things after CC for curved surface modeling. A while ago I started designing and imagining what it would look like. Quite a lot of work has to go into something like this.

I was thinking the problem with SubDiv surfaces is that the outer mesh is completely outside the final smooth representation. I was imagining a solution where the vertices still lie on the final surface but what is between them can be manipulated with control points. I tried looking into NURBS in Blender, but from what I could see and from what I read, they are not quite “there yet”. So I have yet to play with NURBS in another software package that may show their potential for curved surface modeling.

What is the latest in this area? Anybody in the know or have access to some proprietary stuff? Anybody at universities?

Have others imagined there could be something better?

you don’t need “have access to”
just take time and learn how to model “complex structures”
blender already have very good modeling tools
concepts of poligonal modeling everywhere is same - you can look any tutorial and do it in blender

on youtube are many stuff to learn - just take time, passion and LEARN
here some examples:

1 Like

Thank you for a reply @bnzs. I suppose your point is that the new generation is all high poly and sculpted etc.? Just using traditional polygonal modeling.

However you can’t deny that the Catmull-Clark algorithm was a step forward and I’m just wondering if people know people working on that next step for curved surfaces which are everywhere in real life.

TheI last time I did a seach for NURBS related research this was the most interesting paper I found.

Representation of NURBS surfaces by Controlled Iterated Functions System automata

Basicaly it’s a way of representing surfaces which allows those of different types to connect to each other. So for example a a Catmull-Clark subdivision surface could be joined to a NURBS surface.

2 Likes