Curved Wall into Window Frame

Hi guys,
long time lurker, first time poster - first of all a big thankyou to everyone who’s shared their tips and artwork on here, I’ve been dabbling with Blender since about version 2.4, but only since 2.7 have I really felt like I’ve started to get to grips with it properly (clearly a slow learner! :wink:

Anyway, I’m trying to do my first interior viz, a kitchen remodel we’re doing here, and I’m banging my head against the wall trying to work out how to model the windows:

As you can see, they curve into the window in the x/y direction, but not on the z direction.

I’m probably going about this all wrong, but I’m struggling to work out how to go about modelling this. I made my window cutout as a boolean from my room mesh, and then tried bevelling the inner edge, but that didn’t seem to do much. Then I tried subdividing it and increasing the crease on every edge except the inner window one. That worked better but creased more towards the top and bottom of the window, rather than creating a uniform curve:
(blocked because of new user, I’ll add it in a followup post)

as you can see it’s pretty close, but not perfect, and it creates wierdness around the glass that I’m not sure how to get rid of yet.

Can anyone advise what the correct procedure for making a smooth curve like this would be, whilst retaining the lowest possible ‘editable’ poly count?

Many thanks in advance!
Rufus

You can make the window you want following the steps below.
Step 1: Add a plane, switch to edit mode, edge select, and select all. Subdivide 7. Switch to face select and remove the center 16 faces. See Step1 in the figure.
Step 2: Switch to edge select, select the vertical edges of the central hole, press [E], then [Enter]. With the edges still selected, scale in X to move the edges inward about a half of a wall square. Press [E] and extrude in Z. See Step 2 in the figure.
Step 3: Select the new vertical edges flush with the wall and bevel with 5 facets, scaling the bevel until the edge of the bevels collide with the vertical edge on the wall (important). Switch to vertex select, select all, then Remove Doubles. In the display at the top of the graphics window, you should see 10 vertices were removed. If not, then when you made the bevels, you did not scale them so the edge of the bevels were collinear with the wall edges. If all went well, your mesh should look like Step 3 in the figure.
Step 4: Select all the new edges at the bottom left plus those at the bottom right, then Bridge Edge Loops. Your result should look like that shown in Step 4 of the figure. Repeat for the top of the window.
Step 5: In the mesh panel (triangle icon) of the properties window. check the Auto Smooth button. Switch to object mode. In the shading panel of the tool shelf, select Smooth. At this point your wall should look like that shown in Step 5 of the figure.
Step 6: I am confident that you can model the window frame, so you should have something like that shown in Step 6 of the figure.
If you want to add the wooden shelf at the bottom on the window, like your real window, you can start by copying the window sill into a new mesh. Good luck!

3 Likes

Vince, a huge thankyou for putting so much effort in to your detailed answer!

I have a feeling I was trying to make things way more complicated than it needed to be by making the walls/ceiling floor out of 1 object. I think taking your answer/methodology I just need to simplify everything down to separate planes so that I can show hide them as needed!

I’m going to give that a try now, but based on your screenshots, I’m confident I’ll be able to get what I want from that! Legend, thankyou again!!!

Rufus