curves from dupliframs look coarse when filled

i am following greybeards dupliframes tutorial and everything works, except when i try to fill the selected nurbs surface it turns into a coarse representation. i also notice the same thing if i extrude the same nurbs surface. what is happening?

subsurf???

well in the turorial he takes a nurbs circle and dupliframes it allong a path. then he makes circles real, and joins them. next, he fills them, and it looks like a nice tube. mine on the other hand turns into a octagon.

In F9 buttons in the Curve Tools tab in Edit mode set the Resol V value higher. May be Resol U depending on which view you were in when you added it though.

%<

yep that fixed the problem. i cranked up the Resol U and V form 12 to about 30 and it looks great.

one other problem i am having is when i join the nurbs surfaces after i make them real they all flip around so that they are still following the shape of the parent curve but not in the same direction. does anyone know why this happens?

thanks

When you parent the two use Shft-Ctrl-P and/or Ctrl-O on the Circle before dupliframing.

%<

when i do shift-ctrl-p it brings up the same menu as ctrl-p. also ctrl-o just brings up a open dialog box. i am hitting alt-o for “clear origin” and parenting the surface to the path with normal parent. the alignment seems to wack out as soon as i hit make objects real.

Are you sure that the alignment issue happens when you make the dupli’s real ([Ctrl] + [Shift] + [a]) or when you join the dupli’s [Ctrl] + [j] ?

If it’s when you’re joining them, it’s because all of the duplis are sharing the same geometry as the original curve which still has a tracking relationship to the path. (and also may have been adjusted to make the curve aligned properly to the path - depending in which view you added them).
If you look at the ‘Links and Materials’ panel in the Edit Buttons (with the curve circle selected), you’ll see the name of the curve followed by a numbered box indicating the number of objects sharing the same geometry.
Click the number and make the main curve a single user to seperate it from the rest.

It’s a good idea to move the curves away from the path (to make it easier to select - hold down [Ctrl]. Then select and move the original curve (you should see a dashed line indicating the parent relationship) back to the path.

Select one of the duplis curves (You need to have one active to join the rest to) and then box select the rest and join them.

The other option would be to clear the parent relationship by using Alt + [p] (keep transformation) if you chose to keep all the duplis and the original curve. (Note: you would need to do this before joining them.)

Also if the resulting tube is black on the outside - switch to edit mode; press [w] > ‘Switch Direction’.

My bad, it’s Alt-O; Clear Origin. Shft-Ctrl-P is the same as Ctrl-P then Alt-P >> Clear Parent Inverse; It doesn’t use the Parent’s Transform Matrix (Track and Up axii in F7) but the Parent’s Object Origin, or, in the case of Curve Paths, the first frame.

%<