custom bone shapes

I am trying to create my first character rig and would like to use custom bone shapes as a type of GUI. I have seen how to create them, however, it appears that the shape used must still be visible. Is the best way to accomplish this to use a separate layer for the custom shape reference? I have not seen that on other rigs such as mancandy. Any help would be greatly appreciated…

The only approach I am aware of, and have seen used, is to just put the shapes onto the last scene layer so they are out of the way. I’ve heard some talk of leaving the shapes out of the character group, so when you link the character into a new scene the shapes are left behind, but I haven’t tried it myself so I’m not sure if it works.

Edit: another thing you can do is turn off the visibility of the objects in the outliner. This was done in mancandy, and is the reason there appear to be no shapes in the file…

I’m sort of new as well, but I do know that building the control in a separate layer is a good solution. You can turn of visibility and render of the object via the outliner or H to hide.

Thanks for the input. I turned them off in the outliner and they worked like a champ…