Custom Brush = Pixelated Results... why?

Hi all, I am trying to use a custom brush that has much finer detail than what I’m getting in Blender.

I’ve tried various ways to add a lot of faces to the mesh but nothing seems to work. Even with a mesh that has 4 million faces I’m getting pixelated results. Have tried Dyntopo with same results.

What am I doing wrong here?

This is the brush I’m using:

And this is what I’m getting:

Here is the project file:

Hello, not sure this is gonna help, but I think its because your brush is blurred.

1 Like

Hey thanks for weighing in. Actually the original brush is not blurred but I blurred it thinking that might fix the pixelation (it doesn’t). This is the original brush, the results are the same:

I believe blurring could help with the pixelation depending on the color depth of the image. Is the original 8 or 16 bit image? And the blurred one?

1 Like

I’ve converted your image into 16 bit and blurred, then I used as brush instead of the one you had.

Subdivisions are the same as your setup. Images of 8 bit are not good as brushes.

I like the result:

2 Likes

Oh Ok, what @Calandro says makes more sense anyway.

1 Like

I really love the possibilities of those brushes.

1 Like

Whoa nice one! Thanks so much for this, I had no idea about 8 vs 16 bit, that is immensely helpful to know.

Volcano looking image is nice btw!

Cheers!!

1 Like

Can you mark the post as solved, or do you need to test still? I am glad I could help. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reminding me :metal:

1 Like

You are welcome.