[Custom Build] Blender 2.79.6 Weighted Normals & Customized modifiers

Why can’t we have 2.79c with all this goodies… with all the delays i don’t even expect 2.80 to be in “production” condition before summer 2019…

1 Like

@burnin. Thank You!

@obsurveyor. You could probably help most by getting WN code of 2.8 to work with 2.79.6 and providing a public patch. GSOC (2016?) is slightly outdated and it took a lot of manual fiddling to get it working. It would help a lot of users and would be a base for next build. You can also investigate how to add proper GUI to all of these modifiers.

@zanzio. This simplifies my life as I have very little time atm. Link restored. Here’s full source: http://cgstrive.com/blend/blender_WN_modifier_hacks_source.rar

@comradeSunbeam. I agree with you completely. 2.8 is shaping up to be amazing, but it’s gonna take a lot of time till it’s gone through some serious production as 2.7 has. As such the intent was to provide strong 2.79 build with all the latest features + WN and some of my own tools. Official 2.79 build with some 2.8 features(such as WN) would be great indeed.

3 Likes

I think in the spirit of open source, we shouldn’t be too demanding by asking for test or WIP code. Sure the GPL needs protecting but let’s not get too zealous. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s really strange why they didn’t release a blender 2.79c version there is tons of improvement,Iam pretty sure blender 2.8 will be amazing but it will take time

1 Like

I don’t get why folks keep asking for that. They typically only make letter releases for bug fixes. If they were to add new features in a letter release, it would look exactly like 2.79.6.

Calling it “stable” isn’t what makes it stable. They put out release candidate versions with the new features, and fix all the bugs they discover in those features before it’s called “stable”. If you get a letter release after that, it is only to fix bugs they missed in the release candidate versions.

Adding new features to a letter release potentially adds new bugs which in turn will have to be fixed with more letter releases. That breaks this system which is meant to make the official releases more stable than master. What you are asking for is basically what you get in the build bot builds (2.79.6). It makes more sense to just keep using that.

Maybe another reason is because users feel like in a twilight zone now.

Official uses python 3.5
Dailies 3.6
but 2.8 will probably land with 3.7 on board… & API loose in the wild.
:penguin:

“Latest revolution is showing up to be strangely messed up one. Even sun seems to be awfully quiet this year (almost spotless since December).”

just gotta say wow this is a really interesting workflow ,

Is there a fix for the chocofur model manager?

Can this be done with Blender 2.8 remove double modifier ?

Hi, does anyone still have the build? None of the links work anymore, and in 2.8 not everything is there, multiply and add are missing as well as the input fields, and I was trying to recreate the panel in python, but I don’t know how to make some menus…

Here. Link will work for a week…

1 Like

Hi everyone, I just ported the panel from this branch so it appears on 2.8. It doesn’t have the dropdown at the botton cause it has been renamed to something else that who knows what would it be. But this is a good step forwards having these tools more accesible.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lZ_KGfHK_Gryc9_g7VIsUF22Dv9Y49Hn

Screenshot_2

2 Likes